Guys, the worse problem for me and my biggest fear is that I am going to gain weight. I know that this sounds silly and I know that there are so many different problems that can happen to me, but I am scared to death when I see that I have one pound more :/ I don't know what to do about it or how to beat this fear. This panic attack is driving me crazy.

So, generally I have panic fear of gaining weight, sometimes even having panic attacks and I really don't know what to do about this situation.

Help me!

You are not alone, a lot of people are sharing the fear that you have. It is not healthy at all and at some point it might make you anorexic, you know?

I think that you might want to go and talk to your doctor. I might as well just tell you now what your doctor is going to tell you if you go and see him: he will tell you to go and talk to a psychologist. The good thing here is that this psychologist should be free of charge for you, but even if it isn't, I think you should still do it.

Hardly anyone can ever help you with mental problems, you need to help yourself here, Guest, I hope that you realize that.

Psychologist is a great idea, you should listen to what Nina told you. They are great for helping people overcome their fears, that is if these psychologists are good, of course. Be advised that there are bad psychologists out there as well and it is not hard to notice this. If you leave the psychologist's office and you aren't feeling any better, it is time to search for someone new. Just don't keep going to the same one if it's not good for you.

A lot of people are afraid of gaining weight, but not that much that it causes them to have panic attacks. I don't know how you could overcome this. Maybe get to know and hang out with people who are overweight and see how are they living their lives?

I think that you are too obsessed with what other people think of you and that is why you are afraid of gaining weight, that is the only reason that makes sense to me. However, people above me gave you a good advice about going to talk to a psychologist, I think you should do that.

I have a friend with the exact same problem as you, Guest, but I actually never thought of it to be a problem, I just thought that she is simply like that and that there is nothing that can be done about it. Now when I read all of the things that you wrote here, I understand how wrong I was. But I don't think that I can help my friend in any way, I can't do it alone, and she won't listen to me if I tell her to talk to a psychologist or something, she is likely to get mad at me actually.

I have this problem constantly and I don't know really how to deal with it anymore. Whenever I start to think about food, what am I going to eat, I start to panic a lot and when I see my face in the mirror, I am really scared. Why this weight has that big and strong impact on us? I never went to see my doctor about this issue, because I do believe somehow that this is something that I can deal with on my own. And I don't believe that there is too much people who get panic attacks when they think about weighting gain. One friend told me yesterday that I am really crazy about this whole situation...

You should not generally take it to your heart those comments of your friend, Guest. It is normal that people are having fear of gaining weight but when it comes to panic attack, this can be very serious. I don't understand why you believe that you can deal with it on your own when it is obvious that you can't?

People, it is not a shame to talk to someone who can help you, who is an expert in this area. Trust me, with all those advice that he can give you, I am sure that you will fell much better.

Try it!

Yeah. I know this kind of panic attack.

It is called pocrescophobia, and it is known as a morbid and irrational fear of gaining weight and this fear seems like it will never go away.

But like others already told you, your only cure in this case is visiting a doctor. Why? Because this kind of phobia often stems from other psychological issues, which will be discussed further down and it is destorying you constantly. It is most often people who are pressured to be fit and thin that develop this phobia, and like you already know, this kind of phobia is usually seen in women.

Doctor my friends, doctor!

This constant fear literally destroyed me and my body. I was not fat when I was a kid, but when I was a teen I gained some weight. But in my head that seemed to me that it is more than it was. So, everyday when I want to eat something, I start to panic and I start to freak out that I shouldn't eat because I am already fat. But trust me, that is all in your head. Once you stop thinking about this, you will see that your weight will go down. At least, that was in my case. When I was thinking about weight, I was getting it, when I started to love my body, my weight was going down. It is all connected. Of course, I couldn't be here where I am now without my doctor.