Hi, I had a first panic attack two years ago. I was walking down the street with my boyfriend, and the crowd was so big, we couldn’t see where we were going. Suddenly, I felt like I was getting dizzy, my heartbeat was very fast and I couldn’t breathe. I got into the nearest store and asked for a glass of water. Ever since, when I find myself in the crowd, I have a fear of getting another panic attack. I don’t want to be constantly frightened of something that might never happen again. What should I do?

Hi, it seams as you suffer from a condition called "fear of fear". This is a condition when you are always under lot of stress because you never know when the attack could strike you. Fear of panic attacks is not dangerous itself, but it can lead to agoraphobic avoidance. It means that fear could start ruling your life and make you avoid any situation that could cause an attack. However, the avoidance is not a good solution, because it will not make your fear disappear. You have to take control over your life and not to let this unreal feeling become your priority. You could try some medicines, but I think that a visit to a psychologist would be even better. A good therapy would probably help you realize that you shouldn’t fear panic attacks!

The behaviour and suggested solution sound exactly like what I'm going thru and need.
I'm trying to keep a constant state of mind that I may be having an attack, or start of one, and then try to mentally take back control.

Sometimes it works, others it doesnt, and at other times I can cut my panic in half until I eventually get myself into a situation where I can fully get over my stressor/s.

I have noticed I bring them on through anticipation, which sounds fairly common in the forums here.

Its rough, but I would rather own it, recognize it for what it is, and confront it instead of have someone tell me what I alreay know, or put me on meds that may or may not even help .

One thing I tried (and it cut my attacks in half) was to give myself a mantra. I just found something that might be a potential cause for the attack, recognized it for what it was, altered my breathing to calm down, and altered how I was using my body (because one onset was that my left arm would go limp, or so it felt) So...I would switch arms(delivery driver), turn the ac on blast, roll down the window, and really just do whatever I could/can to take focus off the attack.. Its not a solution or an answer, but a device that works for me.

The mantra is what calms me the most I think. Just recite what YOU first and foremost think brought on/ or brings on the attacks. Then, your rational mind will set in and realize that its really something silly and hopefully will reduce your anxiety at least in part. I never truly calm down entirely this way unless I go home. But I regain function of myself.