I have had a severe viral infection of nasal passages and I did not take any medication for that I though it would pass on its own. Unfortunately, problem occurred when I started coughing even more and high temperature returned. I have been to a doctor who said that I have bacterial pneumonia which is a result of complication of viral infection. I was prescribed with dextromethorpan hydrobromide. Is it the same thing as dextromethorphan?

These medications have the same effects, to subdue coughing by inhibiting coughing center in the brain. It will reduce your coughing and relax your breathing muscles and in that way, indirectly, enable regeneration of epitel in the walls of respiratory system. And those two you have mentioned are just different forms of the same medication.

Not sure of you knew this or not but beware its a seditive drug used in low doses.