I have infectious rhinitis, and I know that it’s a type of Non-Allergic Rhinitis, but I would like to know more about it – and also some info about types of rhinitis. Thanks!

You belong to 5-10% population that has nonallergic rhinitis, and it’s really useful to know more about it and distinguish between different types of it. People often think there is only allergic rhinitis, and it is advised to do careful etiology of your problem, so that you can get appropriate treatment. There are seven subclassifications of nonallergic rhinitis: infectious rhinitis, drug-induced rhinitis, occupational rhinitis, vasomotor rhinitis, hormonal rhinitis, gustatory rhinitis, and nonallergic rhinitis with eosinophilia syndrome (NARES). Infectious rhinitis is a manifestation of upper respiratory tract infection, and it’s often of viral origin. If caused by viral infection, it will resolve after a week or so. Most infections are caused by rhinovirus, coranavirus and adenovirus, and these viruses typically cause clear (or almost clear) nasal discharge, along with facial pain and pressure. Also, there could be some alterations in sense of smell, and even coughing. However, the treatment should only be aimed at symptomatic care.

I have been suffering with Non-Allergic Rhinitis for 26 years now. The only medication that has ever helped me was Astelin spray. You might want to give it a try.