Hi, guys. I have been reading some material on doxorubicin. For those who don’t know, it is a cytotoxic drug that is used in the treatment for many cancers. However, many side effects have been reported. I must ask myself whether this drug is bringing more damage than good. What do you think?

Hi. You are right. All cytotoxic drugs have many side effects. They stop the growth of the cells that multiplies rapidly. Unfortunately, those are not only cancer cells. Those would be hair cells, skin cells, intestinal epithelial cells, etc. However, doxorubicin can also damage myocardium. That is why heart failure can appear. That is why each patient must be viewed as individual. A special commission is made to see which type of treatment suits best. Among other, they must establish whether this treatment will make more damage or more benefit.