I think that herbal medicine makes a lot of sense, and especially so if you look at it in the context of many countries throughout the world using this as the main form of medicine historically, and even today. But one thing that I am worried about is knowing whether someone practising herbal medicine knows what they are doing, or if they are a quack. Can anyone tell me if herbal medicine is legally regulated?

You just got to the core of problems with all forms of alternative medicine practised in the western world. Because there is no legal regulation, patients have little way of knowing whether someone is capable. Other than through recommendation, it is nearly impossible to know for sure. In countries like India, where unani and similar medicine are officially recognized, it is much easier. I think this is something that needs to be worked on in the west as well.