About 6 months ago, I noticed my lower abdomen (just below the belly button) would start to protrude after eating or drinking just about anything! I am 28 years old, female, 5'6", and 115 lbs. I work out religiously (usually 7 days a week). I also eat very healthy too. I never eat fried, fatty, or highly processed foods. In addition, I also avoid white carbs (enriched grains) as much as possible. I actually don't eat too many whole grain carbs either. So, I may be mistaking, but I am guessing that overeating, diet, or lack of exercise is not the issue. For as long as I can remember, I have always had a completely flat stomach. My growing abdomen just seemed to come out of nowhere. The protruding is slightly noticeable in the mornings (it's definitely not the flat belly that I was so accustomed to) but as soon as I start eating or drinking, the growing begins. Come 4-5 p.m., I look like I am 5 months pregnant. That's right, skinny head to toe, but even after just one glass of water, I am left with a very firm, solid, and distended lower abdomen that continues to grow throughout the day. I have even taken about 7 pregnancy tests over the last few months; out of fear and just to be safe.

I have researched my symptoms on the internet, and I have come across many similar cases, but none that completely fits my situation. I have no pain, no bloating, no discomfort, no gas, no belching, etc. And the craziest thing about it, there has been no change in my diet or life. I've been doing things the same way now as I have for years, and all of the sudden, one day, my stomach just started tweaking out. Let me take that back, I have actually experimented with several "things" since my condition started, all to no avail. I quit eating sugar, quit eating breakfast, amped up my daily cardio routine, started doing sit-ups, and even tried further calorie restricting, such as substituting an apple in place of a sandwich or a salad in place of chicken. Nothing worked, it made no difference because it doesn't matter what I am eating or how much I am working out, the moment I do eat or drink, the belly growing begins.

To make my situation even more confusing, although my lower belly goes from slightly popped to basketball sized by the end of the day, there is no change in my weight! I weigh the same in the morning as I do at night, and the same as I weighed before all of this craziness started happening (give or take 1-2 lbs; which is totally normal for a person's weight to slightly fluctuate from day to day). I am going crazy! I went to a doctor who ran all kinds of tests on me and came up with nothing. He didn't seem to think it was glucose-related, gluten-related, IBS, or anything else. He said that none of those conditions would result it an abdomen that fluctuated throughout the day. That with those conditions, I would have a distended abdomen 24/7, among other symptoms (that I clearly was not experiencing). He actually, didn't seem to care very much at all! Don't worry, I'm getting a 2nd opinion, but my appt is 2 weeks away.

After 6 months, the only relief has come from 2 short stays at my in-law's house. They eat nothing but fried, processed, and artery clogging food. Literally, for every single meal. So, needless to say, when I stay at their house, I basically starve. Well, even after just 1 day of barley eating anything, my belly was back to its flat, wonderful self! I was miserably starving, but in heaven with my belly! Both visits to the in-laws resulted in me having a flat stomach the entire time! But, as soon as I got back home, the magic was lost. 5 month prego belly was back within a few hours.

After those 2 trips, I thought that my problem may be digestive related and that something might be causing me to have delayed digestion. It seemed to make sense that delayed digestion may result in a belly that gets bigger and bigger whenever food or water is consumed. As though any food or drink consumed, was just sitting around for hours, with no where to go but out. And thus, when I wasn't eating, there was no food to get stuck in my system and push my belly out. I haven't completely ruled it out, but the research I have done does not seem to fit the bill.

Anyway, my only conclusion based on everything that I have tried is that even though starving myself seemed to cure the problem, it was MISERABLE!! There is no way I am going to eat crumbs in order to have my flat belly back. So, if that is the only solution, I will gladly deal with my non-existent baby if that means I can eat!

PLEASE help me if you have any suggestions!!!! The unknown and unfixable nature of my situation is driving me crazy!! I hate feeling self-conscious all of the time!! There has got to be an answer!!

Hi, I have the same exact issue with my stomach! However I have had my issue since I was 13 years old! I am now 28 almost. I am 5'8 & weigh 116. My whole life I have been told that I need to eat more. Which I do, I have never starved myself before. However when I eat anything even a bite of yogurt in the morning, my stomach starts to protrude. So by the time I have lunch, my stomach looks as yours does 5 monthes pregnant. It is so frusterating because everyone thinks I am lying when I say anything. So I just keep it to myself now days. When I was 19 I saw a stomach doctor. I had done several tests & cut out dairy products for two weeks. Unfortunately my doctor could not find anything wrong with me. I was soo frusterated. I started to think maybe this is all in my head for awhile. However when your taking a shower & you go down to look at your feet and there not there, that is scary! I don't know if your experiencing this too, when I sleep on my stomach it goes down in the morning. I feel the longer I sleep the smaller it gets! So when it's summer and I am at the beach, I do starve myself until I am no longer in my bathing suit. I really hope someone can help us, I am thinking of trying activia. I doubt it will work though. If I hear anything, I will be sure to post it on here.

Hey guys, my name is Derrick. I have read about this problem a couple of times now, and I still have not find the solution because distended abdomen bothers my mother from time to time. What she didn't do, but what I suggest you is to see a gastroenterologist, also do some blood tests and stool examination in order to see if there is any bacteria or a virus causing your stomach to bloat like that. Also, just in case, you should do a full body examination, because it could be an allergic reaction you don't even know about. Let us know what you did. 

Hey!I have the exact situation with you.After doing many research, I think this could be some kind of batteria,obstruction,malignancy or inflammation.
I'm 12,female and have this problem about 6 months ago as well.I see this is over a year already.So how's your situation now?If you have other information,please tell me!I've heard many people living like this for years and the problem hasn't go away yet.Anyway,thank you!

Hello, I had stomach issues when I was young, like your age above, into my early 20's. I can tell you after many dozens of tests, western medicine does not understand the stomach, bowels, liver, or pancreas. It was my own troubles that lead me to work in Holistic Health(now for twenty years) The reason why western med cannot begin to help us with issues of the abdomen is because of the mind set they bring to it, that we are all the same, like machines. Our stomachs have a delicate ecosystem,  controlled by the neural chemicals that get dumped there from our nervous system and the foods we process there. This is the true meaning of "we are what we eat". It is deeper than we thought : )

It is important to release all anger and worry with any stomach issue. Why? Because of the Neural Chemicals that are produced with these emotions are dumped right into your gut. Forgiveness and a light heart are key. Why can Angels Fly? Because they take themselves lightly. It is also important to be aware of every bite you chew. Don't eat while watching TV, or listening to anyone. Just be joyful for your food, and mindful to take it in slowly. 

In order to release the damage that has been done, and the upset of the ecosystem in the stomach, you really will have to undergo some big changes. The best way to do this is with help. I could give a step by step over the internet, but with out guidance of a holistic practitioner you would most likely become frustrated and go back to old ways of eating, thinking, and complaining someone else didn't fix you. Truth is healing your self is all about empowerment, joy and connection. But it is a difficult thing to change the way you think and eat, and everyone will have to change big time in order to heal. 

So in short, go to an herbalist, a naturopath, or a chinese doctor. Western Medicine will not be able to help for these particular issues at all, but just put you on a pill popping experiment that could last your lifetime. Take your time, find someone you trust, someone who speaks common sense, and talks to you about really shifting your lifestyle. These people know what they are speaking of, though they will challenge you. 

Most often the issue is a parasite issue. The ecosystem in your stomach has become so poor that you actually have parasites within you, bugs and worms. They are hungry, they create ulcers, and everytime you eat just a little they get a "bloom". There are lots of names for this. You will have to stop all sugar (until the ecosystem is in balance again). Parasites love sugar and stress chemicals. But that alone wont do the trick, because they'll find the sugar in all food, and they'll just get more hungry. This is not an easy process, but you must change your own internal landscape. When you do you will be a new person, you will feel amazing. But please work with someone, to have the support you'll need. I like traditional herbalist the best. They are a little hard to find. You can do it by talking to real people, or reply to me for a referral.  

Hello, I had stomach issues when I was young, like your age above, into my early 20's. I can tell you after many dozens of tests, western medicine does not understand the stomach, bowels, liver, or pancreas. It was my own troubles that lead me to work in Holistic Health(now for twenty years) The reason why western med cannot begin to help us with issues of the abdomen is because of the mind set they bring to it, that we are all the same, like machines. Our stomachs have a delicate ecosystem, controlled by the neural chemicals that get dumped there from our nervous system and the foods we process there. This is the true meaning of "we are what we eat". It is deeper than we thought : )

I know the original post was written over a year ago - but just had to respond.  The post is something I could have written about myself!  I just discovered the following (hopefully the 'answer' to this issue) - Perhaps it will help someone out there.  Please seek out Natasha Turner (Dietician -natural path.)
".... patient trials have revealed that the vast majority of us have different degrees of sensitivity to carbohydrates without realizing it. This means that your level of sensitivity to certain carbo­hydrates (such as bread, vegetables, pasta, rice, fruits and beans) determines the size of your waistline. This explains why some people fail to lose weight, get stuck on a plateau or increase their weight even when they’re following a perfectly balanced diet. Something as simple as chickpeas could actually be a major contributor to weight gain!"
She also has some great insight in hormones in her first two books

Hi, I had the same EXACT thing 3 1/2 years ago. I also eat healthy mostly carrot juice and lots of raw veggies and fresh fruit. My belly was getting bigger and bigger.... I looked at least three to four months pregnant. I went to different Dr's. Thought maybe a female problem. My obgyn said it wasn't a female problem and sent me to a Dr who put a scope down my throat and into my stomach. He thought it was acid reflux with out the normal symptoms. Finally a year later I got so I couldn't eat much at a time without feeling full, so I went to my family Dr and he did a synogram and found a football size water filled cyst. I had surgery to have it removed and had a flat stomach once again. If you didn't get a ct or syonagram PLEASE have your Dr order you one. Hope this helps.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

i'vle recently had this problem also. the difference is i suffer from anorexia and the last episode brought me down to about 83 lbs. i hadn't eaten anything except ensure for over a month. now that i've been starting to eat, and by the way i don't eat any meat except fish, lots of tofu, and refrain from any soda's i've started having a distended lower abdomen. i jokingly call it my food baby. it's extremely embarrassing and like you, i don't weigh any more with the belly problem. it feels extremely uncomfortable and was hoping you came across the solution to your problem. mine is starving myself, but really, i need to pay attention to my health since i'm not getting any younger. please let me know if you had any relief and if so, what's worked. i'm about ready to go to the dr. for answers. thanks so much.

I have that same thing and I'm only 13 years old! It drives me crazy because I'm so small in the mornings and then after breakfast..fat. My mum thinks its bloating and i exercise like a horse because it bothers me so. It even causes me severe depression and makes me mentally disturbed. If you find out ANYTHING please post it here!!

hey dude its the same here... and yes me too im training like a fcking horse because it bothers me. im 8 % bodyfat and my goal is to finalize my ``washboard`` but i cant because of this kind of bloating. that cant be fat but it affect me on my quest for flat abs.. sometimes i wake up and my belly is flat like it is supposed to but bloat by the day. also sometimes when i go out and drink (rarely), the next morning ive noticed that my belly turn flat.. it can maybe related to water retention or something. so if you find something share it :P

I have the exact same symptoms and have had for many years now. Nothing seems to show a pattern except the alcohol thing- the next morning I have a flat stomach. Otherwise on a rare occasion I wake up with a flat stomach and I don't know why! How frustrating is it!

I began to notice this too of late. I am a 53 year old man, also with a clean diet full of natural foods,eschewing anything processed. I ran out of almonds one day and it took me a week to replace them. I always include them in my breakfast and have them as snacks through the day. But the swelling stopped while they were out of my diet, and when at last I bought them and started eating them, my stomach became painfully distended again. I had attributed the problem to coffee and find that without almonds the coffee doesn't affect me. Everyone is different. But that was my problem. If your eating a mix of grains and nuts for breakfast, cut it out for awhile and try something different.

This is the first post that fits mine to the minute detail. I am skinny, eat VERY healthy, workout every day. About a year ago, the protruding stomach began. It started out slowly, where I was suspecting a hernia. My dr. refutted but suggested nothing as an alternative . I do not have any cysts ro tumors (have had plenty scans done). My stomach used to be ripped. Now- in the morning it's barely tolerable, but no matter how little I eat, the bulge just gets worse as the day progresses. If I drink a lot of liquid and kind of jump up and down, I feel the liquid slosh around below my belly button (normally a stomach is just under the rib cage). This lead me to the conclusion that for some reason I have a distended stomach. It dropped so low that once food goes in and it expands just a little, there is no room for al that in the area of lower abdomen (cause stomach was never supposed to be there to begin with), and it becomes visible. I have read that some people with eating disorders have those a problem of a distended stomach. I am not sure why and wether or not it's reverseable) I am always reminded of those pictures of starving African people --- skin and bones but with huge pot bellies. It is a medical condition and it has somethig to do with not having enough protein in your system. I am currently seeing a naturopath dr. I have other hormone related issues that for the time being took precedense, but I am definitely intent on getting to the bottom of this bulge thing. I just need to know why it happens so I can plan a way out of it.