Hello, I am in my 9th month of my first pregnancy. Doctors already told me that delivery will be done by C cut. Anyway, my mother had a malignant hyperthermia which was discovered when she was undergoing total anesthesia years ago. She was told that it can be discovered only in total anesthesia situations. Is that condition a hereditary illness?

Yes, there is a possibility that this condition might be inherited. And unfortunately, the symptoms are showed only during situations like total anesthesia. It is a severe condition that might end fatally if left unattended. The only way to avoid it is not be subdued to total anesthesia. You should know there are some other solutions when it comes to the total anesthesia regarding your delivery.

Hello there,

Since the poster above me has already answered your post regarding the heredity I would just like to add that you should warn your doctor about this before your delivery date approaches. Malignant hyperthermia is condition which is causing fever and severe muscle contractions when you are under general anesthesia.

Because your specific situation, even the common treatment will not be apply able so I suggest consulting with team of doctors to find the best solution in case that you have inherited this condition from your mother, but let’s hope that you haven’t. Also, try to watch for the symptoms of this condition such as muscle aches without obvious cause. All other symptoms are connected with the pregnancy so it would be useless to worry about that. Good luck.