Hello! My mother has adrenal adenoma. Her doctor says it is benign and that she should not worry. She never had any symptoms and her adenoma was discovered by chance during a CT scan of her abdomen. Our neighbor says her doctor is wrong since adrenal adenoma cause severe pain. Do adrenal adenomas cause pain?

Hello! Most patients with an adrenal adenoma will have no symptoms at all. But I know some cases where adrenocortical adenoma showed the same symptoms of cancer including abdominal pain and loss of weight. Pain in the back or flanks may also occur when bleeding occur into adenomas. This happens very rarely. Adenomas are usually benign and they are not considered to be potentially malignant.

Adrenal adenomas are the benign tumors on the adrenal gland and they often have no symptoms that would implicate the presence of them on your adrenal gland. So it is not strange that they were found by accident on your mother’s adrenal gland. The abnormality that you might notice is just in the production of too much cortisol. Sometimes there can be a slight bleeding where patient might experience pain. This is the only case where you can feel some pain but this condition happens very rarely. So if your mother is experiencing pain this might indicate the possibility of bleeding so I would suggest that you go back to hospital and talk to her doctor.