Recently I had acute respiratory infection. I went to doctor and he gave me treatment. I want to know more about these infections. What is the most common cause of these infections? What are the symptoms?

Acute respiratory infections can affect both the upper or lower respiratory systems. An Upper Respiratory Infection involves the ears, nose, throat or sinuses. Infections of the lower respiratory system involve the trachea or wind pipe, bronchial tubes and the lungs themselves. One or both of these systems can be involved when a respiratory infection occurs. Infections of the upper and lower respiratory tract are usually initially caused by viral organisms. The most common upper respiratory infection is the common cold and it can affect the ears, nose, throat and sinuses. The exact symptoms depend on which systems are affected and both upper and lower respiratory tract infections are often accompanied by fever, generalized body aches and pains, headaches, joint pains, sweats, sometimes diarrhea or constipation. Diagnosis is made on the history of the symptoms, their progression and usually the combination of medical history and physical examination can make the diagnosis.