Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with central disc protrusion. I think that he will go for surgery. Is it done under central anesthesia? Can anyone tell me something more about this? I am not familiar with details, so I will appreciate all your replies considering this. Thanks for all your help.

Hello, there. Central disc protrusion is in fact herniated disc between L5 and S1 vertebrae. The procedure that is applied here is called discectomy. It is performed under general anesthesia. It lasts for about an hour, but it all depends on several factors. Those would be: age of the patient, size of the patient, the extent of herniated disc, etc. Patient is lying face down. You should consult your surgeon for more details. I hope everything will be all right after the procedure. Good luck!

Hello, everyone. I know that discectomy is a procedure with uncertain outcome. Here, a herniated disc fragment is being removed. Other disc fragments may be removed if a surgeon thinks that they can be herniated later in future. Nowadays, patients spend only one night in the hospital. In 10-15% of cases, there is a possibility of another disc fragment herniation. That is the common complication of this procedure. In any case, you should talk to your surgeon about all the details. I hope this helps. Bye!