Hi, guys. My father has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer and a doctor recommended surgery. I think that he will make him a stoma. This sounds terrible to me, but I would like to know if this is a permanent therapy for this type of cancer. I would really like to hear some other opinion.

Hi, there. Stoma is a hole that leads to the rest of esophagus. Upper part that is affected with the cancer is being removed. After that, a person does not take food orally. He uses stoma for this. When we talk about the cancers, nothing is permanent and nothing is definitely. If your father’s cancer spread, then he will probably have some additional therapy. Those are usually chemotherapy or radiotherapy. You should consult your father’s doctor to see what he has in mind for your father. I hope he will be all right.