Hi, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer and he will go for a surgery. I have heard that a part of the intestines is used in this type of surgery and I would like to know if this is true or not. I hope someone will answer to my post. Your help is more than welcomed.

Hi, there. There are several types of the surgeries that treat esophageal cancer. In the one that I have heard of, a part of esophagus and nearby lymph nodes are removed. The rest of esophagus is being reconnected with the stomach. In another surgery, besides part of esophagus and lymph nodes, upper part of stomach is also removed. The rest of the stomach is being reconnected to the esophagus. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy is also an option. I haven’t heard about using the intestines. You should consult an expert about this issue. Bye!