What is usual treatment for non-small cell lung cancer, lobectomy or something else? Can it be treated just with chemotherapy and radiotherapy? My husband just has been diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer. I guess he will need surgery. I am very worried about him.

Surgery is used to treat non-small cell lung cancers and chemotherapy and radiotherapy are more often used for small cell lung cancer. There are three main types of operation used to treat lung cancer: removing a small section of lung , a lobe of the lung and the whole lung, although small number of people with lung cancer have an operation called a sleeve resection. Your surgeon may do this to avoid removing your whole lung if the cancer is central and affecting one of your main airways and in this situation a simple lobectomy can't be done. It involves removing the affected section of the bronchus, and any surrounding cancer in the lobe.