Hello. I have a question for you. It’s not about my dogs it’s just something that I need to know because of my friend. It’s about hypothyroidism in dogs. Like I said, my dogs are fine, but my friend adopted a female dog and the lady who gave it to adoption told her that her mother had hypothyroidism. The two of us are now wondering if hypothyroidism can be passed on from mother to her puppy. Somebody told us no, but just in case we want to know a good prevention method. So how to prevent hypothyroidism in dogs, can someone help us with that?

There is not much she can do to prevent it from happening, but her vet can. Tell her to take her dog to the vet regularly, that’s the best she can do to prevent it.
The goal is that the vet notices the dog’s condition while he is still in the so called ‘’grey zone’’. Grey zone is somewhere between perfect health and the disease.
So, while the dog is in the grey zone the vet needs to follow him and determine is he moving towards good health or to the other side. If he sees he is moving towards the place where the disease takes over, he needs to react before he gets there.

Hello. There is no way to prevent hypothyroidism in dogs. You can treat your dog very successfully from hypothyroidism if you notice early symptoms. T4 test has to be done annually and this test can be helpful in early detection. Approximately 90 percent of hypothyroidism in dogs develop when the dog’s immune systems is very weak. This is why visiting the vet is really important and you should visit him often to maintain your dog’s immune system, your dog’s health. This also should help avoid some other diseases. In some cases thyroid diseases are genetic and this is one more fact that you can’t prevent this disease in dogs.

Hey everyone,

I hope you are doing fine.

Like other friends told you, there is no way to prevent this unfortunately. You can treat it but you cannot prevent it.

Feeding a good, balanced and complete diet is very important to manage thyroid conditions in dogs.

This can ease possible thyroid problems.

You should know that once a thyroid problem is diagnosed, your vet needs to find the cause. He can find it with test hormones T3 and T4.

He will give you medications that usually comes in tablet form, Well,  those tablets can help your dog to live longer.

The closest you can get to prevention is described in James’s post. There is no realistic prevention of hypothyroidism in dogs, but the good news is, after the disease or should I say the disorder is revealed, it’s relatively easy to treat it. This condition can be well managed by oral thyroid replacement therapy.

It requires patience, care and attention, but as long as you are willing to take good care of a dog with this disorder, he will be able to live a long and healthy life.:)

Tell your friend not to worry in advance, her dog might as well never have problems with thyroid glands.

No prevention in this case. But I think that the most important thing is that you can heal it very successful.

This disease is usually associated with middle aged dog, female dogs. Hypothyroidism is the result of lack of production of the hormones – T4 and T3.

You can treat it well as I told you. Because this disease manifests with itchy and flaky skin, you need to give your dog extra vitamins in normal meal. For example, broccoli, baked sweet potatoes, fresh herbs, green vegetables can help you to treat your dog right.

Try it – with good and healthy food you can’t make a mistake.

Hey there.

Like others told you there is no way to prevent it. I won’t repeat what they told you about this. Trust me, I am really sad to tell you this because I do have a dog with hypothyroidism as well and I would like to tell you that you should focus on his treatment.

Feeding your dog with the best diet program is something that you should start with. Feed your dog with raw food, canned food and dry food at the end.

You can add some supplements in the foods such as Carnitine.

This is an amino acid and it helps to treat hypothyroidism.

Some people will tell you that you can prevent it, but I am not so sure.

It is true that you can’t prevent this disease, but what you can do is to watch for signs of the disease. That way you can assure that it will be treated promptly. And that’s very important because this is in a way a progressive disease and it is very important that you notice it on time so you can react asap.

I don’t like this disease (who does, right?) especially because I know a couple examples of this disease in humans and they say that in dogs it’s just as messed up. Or even more. Since you know, dogs cannot tell the vet what’s wrong like people can.