Hello there! I am 19, male and I have a problem. Lately I have noticed that I easily get depressed. My mood changes in no time, I lose interest in my activities, don’t feel like meeting my friends. But I have noticed that when I start masturbating at this point of mood, after ejaculation the depression goes away. I found it on the internet that there is a type of depression called atypical depression that has the same symptoms like I do. How common is this? Should I do anything about it?

Just like any other, this is a depression as well, which means that there is a chemical procession in the brain involved and should be reported to a specialist at least for observation, and then medication if necessary.

Hi there,
Atypical depression is definitely a condition that affects a lot of young people. You will most likely feel the same symptoms as you would feel with any kind of depression which will keep you from enjoying in the world and your life. Do you sleep a lot? There is a chance that you will feel hungry all the time and you will eat a lot of food which tend will complicate your life with weight gain and obesity. If you have this condition you might try to find a good treatment option like psychological counseling. This is what most of people do who have depression. You may also take medication but you need a prescription for medication.