Hey everyone.

My niece is 14 years old, she is in High school. She was OK before she started to go there, but it seems to me that she is now very depressed for some reason.

My sister is telling me that I imagine this, but I am not so sure. I believe that I am right. I don't know how to help her, since I don't have kids, and I don't know that much about depression in teenagers. Can you tell me more about it? What can be the causes of her potential depression?

Let me know. Tnx a lot!

Hey there.

I don't understand how she can't see that something is going wrong with her daughter :/ It is hard for me to believe in those stories. 

I am glad that someone notice this! There are several things that can cause it and is most of the cases doctors says that there is no reason to be worried. Look, she is going through puberty, that is obvious and this period  is a significant time of change in the life of a teen. You should know that in the beginning of puberty starts the process of hormone change with an increase in sex hormones for both girls and boys. So hormones may cause those changes...

But anyway, you should try to talk to this girl and see will she accept any help. Maybe she will talk to you. 

Well, teens are overly sensitive and it is kind of easy for them to become depressed. You have school, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, this can all cause a huge emotional pain to them which could eventually lead to depression in teens.

I believe that love is the main reason for depression in teenagers (as well as for suicide in teens). I don't really think that it is real love in question but, you know, it is just teens who don't know anything about love and still think they know everything about life. Friends are the second biggest cause of depression, not being accepted and stuff like that.

Well, if you are a teen, basically anything can make you feel down and then you end up being depressed about it. It is just how teens are, so vulnerable and fragile.

I agree with Gaia that love is probably the most common cause of depression in teenagers (you are right about suicide as well, a lot of teenagers committed suicide in my town during the past year and it was said that most of these suicides happened because of depression due to love). Other than love, not being accepted in the society, being bad at school or just feeling rejected by the whole world.

Other than what you guys already wrote to be the causes of depression in teens (love and society problems), relations with teens' parents are also a major cause of depression in teens. Most of teens have none or simply a really bad connection with their parents. This can mean a lot and have a huge effect on teenagers. Every teen girl needs a mom who she can tell everything to and every teen boy needs a father who he can tell everything to as well. If they don't have this, it is going to create a problem and big emptiness in them.

Like everyone has told you already, it is a very delicate age for people, they are still building themselves and they are not emotionally strong. I mean, most of the people living today probably can't say about themselves that they are emotionally strong. This is why everything has a huge impact on teenagers and they take everything personal and close to the heart. Literally everything can cause teens to become depressed because they are so vulnerable and fragile, this is why they need someone to stick around them and someone to talk to, someone to guide them and give them directions.

Love maybe? Boyfriend? I know she is just 14 but it's that age when you can fall in love without even having to talk to this person who you fell in love with.

If she is depressed, she needs someone to talk to about it. If she doesn't trust you, then she won't talk to you about it. It would be best to find that one person who she completely trusts and respects and then ask that person to talk to her and find out what is going on. You can try and do that, but I am not sure that you will succeed.

There are so many different reasons for this condition in teenagers. For example, I agree that this could because of boyfriend, or maybe she is in love with someone who doesn't want to turn his love back to her. That happened to my daughter and she didn't want to admit that she is in love, because she believed that it is not a good thing for her to let us know.  After a while she confessed us that she is in love, so we started to talk a lot about this. After a while, she accepted to see psychiatrist, who is also our family friend and after a while she was feeling much better about this whole situation. I really hope that your niece is going to be ok. Have a nice day.

Good day everyone. Somebody needs to talk to this girl. It is very important. I am telling you this from my own experience. My son had the same problem, he started to be depressed when he was 17 years old and he was always a happy kid. But one day he just became different and we couldn't recognize him. I took a while for him to accept to talk to me about those situation and than she finally confessed me what is his problem - his girlfriend was pregnant. He was so depressed because he was afraid to tell this to someone, to me, and she was also afraid to tell this to her parents. It can be something like that...

Hey everyone.

Like others already told you, it could be anything and it is a bit silly to just guess what it is all about. Instead of guessing what is going on, someone really needs to talk to this girl about this situation. Who knows what is going on in her life, in her head? So you should talk to her parents and let them know that she has some serious problem, and I still can't believe that they didn't notice that she is depressed and that she is in different mood than before. The conversation is a key that can lead to success. 

Good luck.