Hello there,

I am wondering if binge watching TV can cause depression. You see, I have this friend who was watching TV for almost 3 days now without stopping, unless he had to go to the toilet or to sleep, and he just came to me and said that he thinks that he is suffering from depression. He said that it could have been caused by watching TV a lot in the past couple of months.

I am wondering if this is true because I honestly doubt it, it must have been something else that caused him to become depressed... right?

Hey Guest,

Binge watching TV is definitely connected with depression and anxiety, there were studies done in order to prove this, but the people who were doing these studies are unsure if depressed people tend to watch TV more than others or if watching TV a lot can cause depression. Either way, binge watching TV is not good at all and it can make you more depressed if you are depressed already and if you are not depressed, it can make you more prone to it or even cause it, I suppose. I would stay away from TV if I were you.

That was exactly my point, I am not really sure that binge watching TV can alone be the cause of depression. But my friend always seemed somehow depressed to me, well, not really always, he has these mood changes, one day he is awesome, funny, positive, and then the next day he is sad, pessimistic and I don't know what. I kind of think that depressed people tend to spend more time at home, in their beds and in front of their TV screens. That is why I also believe that there has to be some sort of a connection between these two.

Yes, it's true, too much watching TV can cause depression. I mean, it is my opinion that it is true, I can't say that I'm sure about it when those studies didn't show that it is true either, but, you know, it makes sense.

If you spend all day and night watching TV, you will eventually get in a bad mood because of what TV taught you to believe and you are going to compare yourself to everyone else and you will use TV to run away from the world, which will make you even more depressed. Well, this is just my theory.

You are talking to the person who watched TV for more than 7 hours per day. Because of this situation, I started to avoid people. I had a feeling that TV is my only friend and that I really don't need no one by my side because I have my television.

I was going home to watch television, I was avoiding to spend some time with my friends, etc.

And I started to be depressed.

Also, I was watching those silly and sad movies that made me even more depressed. 

After this, I was reading a lot about that problem and I found out that watching television can really cause a depression.

Really? It can? I don't believe in that! I mean, how watching TV can cause a depression? It doesn't make any sense to me... I watch a lot of television lately, especially after I broke up with my boyfriend and I don't think that this made me depressed. I think that it is helping me to get over this break up. OK, it makes a sense that if you watch some depressed TV shows - that can make you depressed, but if you watch something that relaxes you, I don't see how it can make you depressed. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I believe. Enjoy your day.

Look, I am not saying that this is the case for everyone, but look - studies all around the world showed that this is possible and that binge watching tv can cause depression.

OK, I am really glad because you were healed with television, but that is not a solution. The solution is to go out with your friends and have fun with them. The solution is not to be in your house alone and watching the TV all the time. So binge watching TV is making us depressed.

And it is not surprise at all because it can make you feel bad.