Hello everybody,

I am suffering from depression for quite some time now and I didn't really have any problems with my appetite so far but I've recently been feeling hungry almost all the time and I was wondering if this is just a symptom of depression or could it be something else?

I've read on the internet that gaining a lot of weight is associated with depression so I kind of thought that this constant hunger of mine is indeed just an effect caused by my depression. Does anyone have any experience with this, I would pretty much appreciate any advice.

Definitely possible, people who are suffering from depression tend to eat more than people who are not. You are not actually constantly hungry, it may appear like it but it's not really it, the thing is that you aren't doing anything so the only comfort is the one that you find in food. That is why people suffering from depression tend to gain weight over a short period of time. 

There is no way to treat this, I mean, the only thing to do in order to stop your need for eating is to win the fight that you are fighting against depression.

Sure. Depression does affect your appetite. It can make you eat more or eat less, depends on person. Changes in your eating habits definitely may be related to other symptoms of depression, such as fatigue and a lack of pleasure from activities. So, according to that many people with depression lose both energy and interest, or they have some weird energy indeed.

My friend was eating like a crazy. 

But generally, I think that no one can help you about this. Sure you can talk to someone about it and you can ask someone to give you an advice, but I am not sure how you can fight it. 

It's quite normal for a person suffering from depression to be constantly hungry. It is like Gaia said, you aren't doing anything with your life, you become lazy so all you want to do is to eat. 

I disagree when it comes to what Gaia said about treating this, I think that it can be treated. What you need to do is exercise. Go running every day, don't skip any days and don't give up. You will see that you will be eating less but not just that: you will feel a lot better, you will notice the difference in a matter of days.

Good day there!

Yes, it can be.

Here is what I do know. It is very normal to have an increased appetite after physical exertion or some other activities. And it is also very common to have an increased appetite if you are depressed. So, it means that your appetite is significantly increased over a prolonged period of time.

But look it also can be a sign of some other illness, such as diabetes. You should know that mental health conditions, such as depression and stress, can also lead to appetite changes and overeating so I believe that this is in your case as well.. So, if you’re experiencing excessive ongoing hunger, make an appointment with your doctor. That is the best thing. 

Okay, so I believe you guys, this constant hunger is just a side effect of my depression. At least I know what it is, it's a good thing that I don't have some other bad condition or disorder or something. So what do I do now? Do I just fight my wish for eating (which isn't going to be easy at all) or can I just feed my needs and eat whatever gets to my hands? Is there a way in which I can kill my appetite, maybe some medications or something? This is the first time that something like this is happening to me so I don't know what to do really.

I would try to fight it if I were you, overeating is never good. I believe there are some pills which make your hunger go away, they kill your appetite but I do not know how healthy these pills are, you should probably talk to your doctor about this. Or maybe, since you have a diet problem here, you could talk to a dietitian, they should know more about this matter. Whatever you do, just don't leave it be like it is now because you will get in more worse condition than you already are, better do something about all this.

Hey there.

I have also heard about those pills who can help you fight this huge appetite that depression can cause for you. I do know one girl who was using those pills and I didn't believe that something like this can be very helpful.

Especially because I don't believe that pills can do some good things at all. But she swears to me that those pills helped her during her depression. I am not saying that you should go to the doctor and tell him to prescribe pills for you. No, you need to see if those pills fit for you.

But I am sure that pills can be helpful if you can't find anything else. 

The worse period of my life was when I started to deal with depression. First, I was really out of myself so I started to lose all my friends. I didn't want to tell them that I was sick, so I was ready to lose them all before sharing my secret with them. When they left me, I started to fight with this depression at the same way that happens to you - I started to eat a lot. I didn't believe that this is because of the depression, but I saw that my body is fighting against me and than I decided to visit the doctor. He really helped me deal with this problem. I can tell you that now I am OK, but not that good. But I will be. Keep fighting!