Is there any style or technique on how a new runner should breath. I have found myself running out of breath, because of a tendency I have to hold my breath for long periods of time. I am 5' 9' 250lbs and I am ready to get back to who I was, and I plan to do this by running my but off. So any help on breathing techniques would be greatly appreciated. I have been contemplaiting on not running today so I do lack motivation as well I hope I get out there. Thanks in advance.

Well, I think it is best to find your own breathing technique. You said it yourself that you keep your breath for longer periods of time and that this doesn't suit you, so don't do it.

Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out,.....don't make any pauses. Start with slow running, so you can concentrate on your breathing. Once you realize what works well, you can increase the paste.

It is at least how I do it. Good luck!