What does it take to be considered a runner? My doctor asks me every year if I am a runner or a jogger, and I never quite know how to answer her.

How does one aquire the title of "Runner"? Is it how many miles you run or your pace? How many races? How long you've been running? What do you think?

It's your mindset. I don't think it has anything to do with racing, how many miles you do, or even the length of time you've been running. To me, being a runner is that you run because it is important to you to do so. You may run 3 days a week but if running is a lifetime priority, you're a runner. You run because you want to, because you love it, because it matters to you.
Running isn't as important to a jogger. It's a casual, weekend thing and it matters no more than playing a random pick up game of basketball. A jogger may run because he or she feels obligated or is doing it soley for the goal of losing weight or "getting in shape" but isn't doing it because the running is what matters.

I'm a middle aged recreational jogger. If I was as fast as RAS I'd be a runner.

If yer slower than me you're a jogger if you're faster than me your're a runner

8)

8)

If you can ran further than wtr you're....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
..
.
.
.
just plain crazy! :D

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
..
.
.
.
just plain crazy! :D
---
megawill
naw there's folks who do 48 hour races and there's PH going to do RAAM this year!

Most days I'm a jogger. Some days I'm a runner. If I'm out there at 70% effort and willing to stop to look at something or talk to someone, I'm jogging. If I can barely make an effort to lift my palm to wave, I'm running. Some people are "always" runners and some are "always" joggers. I think of it as effort level, not ability. This way I don't get offended when someone says "hey, I saw you jogging past my house today", I can answer "yes, you probably did".

I think the five stages is a better way to classify runners. I think it was Galloway that came up with that. But again, some people will never enter all stages and you'd be amazed that age and experience has nothing to do with it.

I'll play the elitest and throw out some numbers.

>10:00/mi pace :: jogger
<10:00/mi pace :: runner

<500-mi/yr :: exerciser
>500-mi/yr :: runner (you gotta wear out at least one pair of shoes per year) :o

I think if you get out to run for the sake of running, then you're a runner. A jog is something you do to get from one place to another: "let's jog home" "i jogged to my car from the mall exit" I can't see how performance can dictate which of the two you are regardless of pace or distance.

I still think it has to do with mindset because you can have someone who runs 8 minute miles (faster than me, on average), and runs more than 500 miles a year but doesn't really care about running but runs because his doctor made him or that it is for some other pursuit and not about the running. And I'd say he's not a runner because he doesn't want to be.

I really like this answer.

I really like this answer.
Me too. I'm not fast by any means and never will be, and you'd never know I was a runner by looking at me. It's definitely a mindset. If I didn't think I was a runner, my name would be jogswithscissors.

If I didn't think I was a runner, my name would be jogswithscissors. And this site would have to be called joggingforums, because I'd bet there are lot of people here who wouldn't make the pace or even distance cut off. I like Pugs answer. And prohemps. And sue, if you aren't a runner, nobody is!

/still playing the elitest I think you'd be surprised if you knew. 8) In captaining/spreadsheeting some of the virtual events, I've gotten glimpses of some real fortitude on this site that goes unheralded. So nope, I'd disagree, distance and pace wouldn't joggerize a "lot" of people here I dare say.

Well, then, according to the stats, I'd always be JUST a jogger.

So, no matter that it took everything I had to run those ten minute miles, I'd still be just a jogger.

That elitist attitude is what keeps people away from ever attempting sports in the first place.

"If you can't be competitive, then don't bother trying, because WE don't consider you a serious athlete"

How sad. Learning a new sport. Giving it my heart and soul. Learning everything I could. Not being happy unless I could be out running and improving myself. And still being looked down upon because I would never be good enough to be competitive.

*sigh* I'm glad there are a few people on this board who know how to applaud effort and heart--because not everyone was cut out to be a sub 10 minute mile RUNNER. I remember when I hit 10 minute miles. That was a huge day in my life. Sad to realize some I respected looked down upon that effort which was HUGE for me.

Label me as a jogger. Former jogger. I had to give it up due to medical reasons--would give my right arm to be able to go back to JOGGING if I could. Because even that would be better than not being able to JOG at all.