Seriously, I don't know how. I have always hated running. My friends all ran faster than I could, and I would tire out very quickly. And that was despite being good shape from lifting weights, as well as being good at skipping rope.

But recently I realized something. I noticed that a minority of people jogging around my area looked akward. Comparing their technique to others I could see that they were striking the ground hard with their heel, using a strong breaking effort from their quads and tibialis with each step. On the otherhand, most everyone else was bouncing off the ball of their foot, or midfoot with each step.

Man, it was like some sort of epiphany. I remember a friend telling me that I run funny. I was around 12. Later I would hear my own feet slap the ground like pancakes while trying to out sprint another friend, who left me further behind with each step. But seeing those contrasts in running technique explained everything. The reason I have always hated running. The reason I was so slow, yet exhausted with the effort.

Embarassing. Running seems like such an innate ability. Something that everyone should simply know how to do. Well, I don't plan on running any marathons or anything. I would simply like to learn how to run. Can anyone here tell me how to learn to run? Anyone have any profile videos of running technique?

Most would agree that the ideal footstrike to run is where you land on your midfoot and roll forward. If you start with your heel that is fine, but you need to make sure that you aren't pounding the ground each time you do that which it sounds like you're doing. Just concentrate when you're running to keep it light.

Don't try and memorize this all down to a science. If you do that you'll feel even more awkward than before. Just keep in mind to run lightly, ideally starting on your midfoot and rolling forward, and if it helps follow the diagrams.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/middist/

Also make sure you have the right shoes, I play bball and love wearing basketball shoes, but they don't cut it and are very painful to run in so i have running shoes as well.

Is running technique all you wanted to know?

Yeah, I just want to learn how to run, technique wise. It seems like such a basic skill that everyone should know.

A hundred different runners will have a hundred subtley different forms. Like anything else, good form comes with repetition. A comfortable arm swing and stride length are important - they have to feel natural. Getting into the more technical areas of foot strike can come later. Too long of a stride can cause some of the braking effect you noticed. Focus on comfort and efficiency of your motion and also your breathing. I exhale every 4th stride unless I'm really hoofing it and then it becomes every 3rd stride. The most efficient footstrike is a midfoot strike but there is nothing wrong with a heel strike as long as the rolling of the foot remains smooth and effortless as possible.

I pretty much go along with everything that has already been said.
'robp' is correct we are all built differently and there are hundreds of different subtle variations (some not so subtle) on correct running form.
However George's question is relevant, running form is where good running begins.
George you really need a coach or someone who knows what they are about to watch you run. In the mean time what I like to re-enforce is:

Run tall.
Body and head correctly aligned. (ears over the shoulders)
Relaxation - no rigidty.
Chin in, chest out, abdomen in, backside in, shoulders down, knees straight ahead, feet slightly apart and pointing forward.
Arms relaxed, relaxed elbows, hands closed in a gentle fist.
Body weight balanced towards the balls of the feet.

In running, the same alignment is maintained to the driving point, at an angle relative to the speed of the runner, weight over the balls of the feet.

Good post George, runners new and old can improve their efficency and their times by doing a little work on running form.

Have you thought about just doing another form of exercise? Running is not for everyone.

Chronic diseases/illnesses/ailments aside, I'll take that bet.

If you read his first post he talks about jump roping and weight lifting. He sounds active already and just wants to find a better way to run not try something that could hurt him. I think everyone can run and its cool when someone who normally wouldn't care about running at all decides to improve themselves.

A lot of it too, is spending time out there learning your body. I know it sounds funny, but the more you run--the more you spend time out there, the more you get to know what stride your body likes. You start figuring out a breathing rhythm, and arm positioning. It doesn't hurt to see what the pros recommend to have a starting point.

I liked running in the dark so no one could really see me while I learned. I, too, was one of those to whom running did not come naturally.

Not only was I not an athlete, I was not physically fit when I decided to run. You're at least one step ahead there!! Congrats on that! That's the huge step!

Best advice, is spend time getting to know what your body is saying. The right shoes make all the difference for foot placement as well. Good shoes can make you feel like you're running on air.

Sorry to ramble. Welcome aboard!!