Hello! My mother is sixty years old. She goes to her doctor and checks her health condition regularly. Two years ago she was diagnosed increased blood sugar and she takes her medicines as her doctor told her to. She went to check her eyes few days ago and she told me that the doctor told her she had a chronic glaucoma. My mother has never had any problems with her eyes and I have never heard of chronic glaucoma before. Maybe my mother made a mistake. Is there such thing as chronic glaucoma?

Hello! Yes, there is such thing as chronic glaucoma. This is actually the most common type of glaucoma where the aqueous fluid can get to the drainage channels but they slowly become blocked over many years. There is no symptom which could show that there is a problem and the field of vision slowly becomes impaired. Age, diabetes and short sight increase the risk of developing this condition. Your mother has already problems with increased blood sugar and she is sixty which presents two important risk factors.