Hello! Two weeks ago I went to my eye doctor and he told me that I have glaucoma. Before that I supposed that I had it and I wasn’t surprised. Doctor told me that I need to quit smoking. Does I really need to? Tell me what are the smoking effects on glaucoma?

Hi! I had a same problem. I was smoking a lot. Now I quit with smoking totally and I feel really better. Smoking effects on eyes can be dangerous. There are strong links between several diseases of the eye and smoking like glaucoma and cataracts. Of course, the worst smoking effect on eyes can be permanent blindness.

Im not an expert but have been studying glaucoma for a project of mine recently. Studies trying to link Glaucoma and smoking have so far proved inconclusive BUT smoking IS linked to hypertension and other vascular issues that do have links to Glaucoma.

Glaucoma is a serious condition, I recommend following your doctors orders... given a choice of giving up my eyesight or smoking, I know which I would choose.

Good luck

I AM A GLAUCOMA SUFFERER I AM ALREADY BLIND IN MY LEFT EYE. I HAVE SMOKED HEAVILY WITHOUT KNOWING IT WAS BAD FOR MY SIGHT. I LOST THE EYE SO GRADUALLY WITHOUT KNOWING. GLAUCOMA STOLE IT SNEAKILY. I WAS LOSING VISION IN MY RIGHT EYE WHEN I BECAME AWARE. SO I WAS ADVISED BY MY DOCTOR TO QUIT SMOKING AND EVER SINCE THEN I DO NOT HAVE INCREASED PRESSURES ON THE EYE. PLEASE QUIT SMOKING IF YOU HAVE GLAUCOMA. DO NOT GAMBLE WITH YOUR SIGHT.

Yeah im also suffering with glaucoma and ive noticed slight vision loss in my left eye I decided last night it's time for me to quit.Ever since i stopped i am suddendly feeling so much better.It's either smoke and live a life in constant pain or quit and live a semi decent life!I'm choseing to live my life without constant pain and i don't want to lose more vision.If you have glaucoma of any sort and are in pain and your a smoker i would recommend quitting a.s.a.p You will feel so much better!Also caffine intake is not that good for your eye pressure as well.Good luck!

is passive smoking dangerous? besides glaucoma, i am also cardiomyopathic.