Hello! My mom is 60 years old and she has never any special problems with her eyes. Ofcourse she is wearing reading glasses, but lately I noticed that she is stretching her eyes more in order to read or even watch TV or with some other thing as well. I think something is seriously the matter, even though she says I am imagining things. I don’t think she wants to admit that. I am very afraid of glaucoma and would like to know what are the symptoms and how glaucoma can be diagnosed. Thank you very much!

Well, you see the problem is that In most cases of glaucoma, there are no obvious symptoms and most people remain unaware of it until serious vision loss has occurred. However there are two types of glaucoma that produce symptoms. They are acute angle-closure glaucoma and congenital glaucoma. Symptoms of the acute angle-closure glaucoma are eye pain after watching television or upon leaving a dark theater, halos or rainbows around lights, headaches, Intense eye pain, nausea and vomiting brought on by pain, redness in the eyes, swollen or clouded cornea. Symptoms of congenital glaucoma are enlargement and/or clouding of the cornea, excessive tearing in one or both eyes, sensitivity to light. These conditions are diagnosed by eye exams and include tonometry, ophthalmoscopy, perimetry, and gonioscopy. It would be best if you managed to persuade your mother to go and see a doc just for the regular visit, and you can take it from there.