Hello! I have been having problems with high eye pressure for some time. I used all the medicines as prescribed by my doctor but my doctor is not satisfied with my eye pressure. He recommends laser surgery. There were few cases of glaucoma in my family but no one went to the surgery. Is laser surgery safe?

Hello! Laser surgery is usually the next step in treatment of glaucoma when medicines have no effect. The surgery is safe but, as all surgeries, it carries certain risks. Some patients experienced short-term increase of intraocular pressure and in some patients it dropped too low. Also, there is a small risk of developing cataract after some type of surgeries. This is rare but still possible. You doctor should inform you on all possible risks before the surgery.

Hi there,
Glaucoma is a condition that can affect anybody. The fact is that there are two types of glaucoma, open angle glaucoma and closed angle glaucoma. There is also secondary glaucoma but this only happens after the surgery as a possible complication. Now the laser surgery is very safe and I think that most doctors practice this surgery. You have to speak to your doctor about your eye pressure and if he finds that something is wrong with you and the laser surgery will help you have to do it. You have to understand that this will help you to restore your proper vision back. I hope this helped you in any way.
Best wishes,
Marco