Reading all the cases of ureter damage during laproscopic hysterectomy, I am wondering if anyone out there has been able to sue their Doctor, or receive any compensation from their Doctors insurance?

I have checked with several attorneys and have been told that unless there is permanent injury there is no case.  If they are able to repair you, just suck up the pain and suffering and be thankful they could fix you.  It takes a while to get over the injury, get used to the way your body looks after the repair and just realize that your body is working the way it should.  Once back on track, LIVE!! because your life could have been very different.  I had my surgeries 1 year ago, my gynecologist never acknowleged, follow-up up with my other physicians or apologized.  I was thankful for the urologist who said "if you do exactly what I am telling you, I can fix you," I had to trust him because I could not believe what had happened.

if proved negligehce you have acase

Ok i have been working with attorneys trying to find anything with the doctor messing up in surgery but it wasnt the doctor. Ther is a huge suit agaisnt the makers of the da vinci machine. Anyone that has had damage during thier hyst... Please go on the site... i have researched it to make sure it isnt bull... And to my surprise... It isnt! I think this might be the light we are hoping to see at the end of our tunnel. Please email me if u would like. I had the suregery back in aug 2011. 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks tena

I wanna sue.. my ureter was damaged didnt kno till 5 wks later im 38 wearing adult diapers im so humiliated..

Have they said how long it will take your body to repair itself?

Hi, My name is Angela, I have a younger sister who underwent a hysterectomy I believe in 2009 She wound up staying in the hospital numerous days, she became sepsis, low blood pressure, we were really concerned. she was back at the hospital many times after that. What happened was, The Dr, Dr. Irwin Glassman, obgyn, nicked her urterer during surgery. He more or less blamed it on the urologist saying it was fine when he did his surgery. Regardless, its 2013 and she's having kidney infection one after another. She got laid off her job where she had her medical insurance. She said it was too late to do a medical malpractice suit on the performing surgeon. I feel he should be financially responsible for this mistake he made, which is making my sister so sick and in so much pain. She said she's use to it, but I don't think she realizes how damaging and dangerous this can beto her health and life...... I guess I need some advice on what can be done do to help her. We just lost our mother, and I'm not ready to go thru this unnecessary pain, for the loss of my sister, which will eventually prematurely happen if this issue isnt taken care of. She's only 39 years old. Please advise me on our medical, financial and legal options in her case. Medical is my main concern. I want to help her to get better.

Thank you for your time
Sincerely.

Angela

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

The moderator took out the website. Can you please send me an email with the website? Thanks.

Just wanted to say to the person looking to help her sister. I live in Buffalo NY. I see Dr Lele who is the Chief Oncologist at Roswell Park Cancer Institute.  At Roswell there is a financial office in which you can apply for financial help. I had my Laproscopic Hysterectomy on Oct 16  2013. My right Ureter was damaged. They referd me to a Urologist. Oct 28 They tried to put in a stent. No go. Oct 29 a Nephrostragram was done. Now I have a tube leading from my back right kidney to a bag. Last Mon. they tried to go from kidney to bladder to put stent in. No go. Now I  am told Ureter is no longer connected to bladder. Not sure what I will face next. I wonder is this problem even possible? What keeps me going despite these trials is my faith in Christ. He offers me the inner peace I need.

I recently had a ureteral injury during an abdominal hysterectomy - sounds similar to you. Turned out the ureter was sewn shut. Also had emergency nephrostomy - for a month. CAT scan showed the suture. A month later the urologist reattached the ureter to the bladder. Several ways to do this depending on exactly what happened. Be sure your urologist is experienced in women's urological reconstruction. The repair was done in stages and took several weeks, and I also had a complication with it that was recently addressed in a surgicenter procedure. It's been very hard to go through, but here's how I handled it - you don't have that much choice - you have to get repair surgery - get the best doctor for this and then do everything he tells you. It's no fun, but it can be done. In fact, the success rates I'm told are very high. I'll be in follow up for a long time. I'll look back for you and wish you all the best.

Unbelievable ... I had a hysterectomy Dec 16th, same location, same surgeon ... and exact same "problem". I currently have a nephrostomy drain for my right kidney; they attempted to place a stent, no go. I am scheduled for a nephrostgram on Feb 4th. Do you know if they used a da vinci machine during surgery?

There is a procedure I'll be having called a Baori Flap procedure which is done by specialised Urology Surgeons when a stent placement doesn't work. My right ureter was cut 4 weeks ago during a messy hysterectomy, a stent did not reach so I have a nephrostomy bag and tube in from my kidney. I'll be having the Baori Flap surgery in February. I'd suggest to research it then find a good Urology surgeon experienced in it.

No its quite common is what I determine after it happened to me. Something about everything being so close together. I did sign a paper stating I knew all of these things could happen. I guess I am just happy to survive and be alive.

Same situation and same question

My wife had her ureter cut out when they removed a cyst in 2012 .10cm was cut out and surgeon didn't even know. we had a phone call 4 days after she was sent home to come straight back in as pathologist spotted it .she was given a nephrostomy same day and a 5 hour op the next day where she underwent an ileal transposition.This is in the uk and we are grateful to the surgeon that repaired her . We are currently suing and they have admitted liability .