I am scheduled to go through Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy one week from now. I have this fissure for years with up and downs and I am hoping surgery would fix it. The biggest question in my mind is the post operation complication which includes incontinence and flatulence.

I would like to hear from those who has gone through this surgery and experienced flatulence. After how many days did it subside?

Anyone?

I had the surgery two weeks ago. It was not half as bad as people made it out to be. Bowel movements have been easy and I'm back yo work after a week. No flatulance problems or incontinence. Do it.

Hi I am new to the thread but read it all the time I had LIS surgery 10 days ago, the worst day was the first day after all the meds wore off from the hospital I took oxycodone and it did the trick. I was nervous going into surgery after reading some of these stories. Maybe I just had a small fissure. I returned to work the day after surgery but only worked for 3 hours because of the swelling it hurt to stand. I stand mostly during work (work front office manager at hotel) I had my surgery on Friday morning and had a polyp removed and the LIS dr said everything went well. First BM was fine no pain. I have had just pain from swelling. I've been using Witch Hazel wipes after BMS and then take a sitz bath which I think really help. By the Sunday following my surgery I was back to working full time, obviously I had mild discomfort, would come home everyday take a sitz bath and ice it for a little. I think the worst part was having to wear my work clothes since they are tighter and sweat pants fell way better. I feel bad for everyone whos had a horrible recovery and a long one. I go to see the doctor tomorrow for my first post op appointment after 11 days. I was wondering if anyone had any stitches after their surgery I am starting to see a string starting to fall out of where I guess the doctor did the incision? The doctor never said anything to me or my family or nurses that he used stitches but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Wishing everyone a good recovery

I had the surgery and my experience was just about the same. I had the string dangling also. I left it for a while but it kept getting longer and catching on stuff. Ouch, so I had to just cut it myself. I wish I had just cut it off to begin with. My surgery was in May and I am back to normal now.

i think im too scared to cut the string it took me a week to actually look down there. ive been using witch hazel wipes and keep them in throughout the day in hopes of keeping area clean and now im starting to notice some burning in buttcheeks i dont know if thats cause of using to much witch hazel since it is an astringment with alcohol but im so scared of infection and during work i want to make sure its staying clean as im always running around and dont want to cause any irritation or bacteria to the incision area and i heard just from sweating in that area it can cause bacteria to get in. if anyone has any feedback on witch hazel wipes or other alternatives to use let me know. oh and did it hurt when you cut out the string?

Are you both still happy that you had the surgery? This chronic fissure is controlling my life for over a year now, & I've already tried nitro & Botox. Thank you for any information you can share.

HI MY NAME IS MISS JERRIAN LAWRIMORE, I HAD THE OPEN PARTIAL LATERAL SPHINCTEROTOMY AND SKIN TAG REMOVAL SURGERY. FRIDAY OCTOBER 3 2014.  20 MINUTES AFTER THE GENERAL ANESTHESIA WORE OFF, THATS WHEN THE THROBBING PAIN CAME, I WAS MOANING FOR MAYBE A COUPLE OF  HOURS STRAIGHT THAT NIGHT. I TOOK ONE VIKITING PILL FOR ALL THEY WOULD GIVE ME IS THAT AT THE HOSPITAL, THEY SAID I HAD TO WAIT TO TAKE IBPROPHEN WHEN I GOT HOME, INCASE OF BLEEDING.  I TOOK 3 IBPRO THROUGH THE NIGHT AND EARLY MORNING.  ALL THE MEDS GAVE ME NAUSEA, NO LONGER TAKING MEDS. TODAY IS SUNDAY STILL SOME NAUSEA. HAD BOWEL MOVEMENT LAST TWO DAYS, SOME BURNING AND SORENESS, DUE TO THE FACT THE DOCTOR LEFT MY INCISION OPEN, AND SKIN TAG THAT WAS THE SIZE OF HALF OF BEAN CUT AND REMOVED. "MY COLON RECTAL SURGEON SAID SHE WANTED TO LEAVE MY INCISION OPEN, SO IT CAN HEAL FROM THE INSIDE OUT. AND THE FISSURE WON'T COME BACK. AND SHE SAID THAT FROM HER EXPERIENCE WITH PAST STITCHING PATIENTS, THEY ALWAYS END UP OPENING BACK UP AND STITCHES WOULD COME APART ON PATIENTS AND CAUSE A MAJOR PAIN. THEN THAT WOULD CAUSE HER TO HALF TO GO BACK IN.  SO HOPEFULLY EACH DAY WILL GET BETTER WITH BOWEL MOVEMENTS, I WAS GIVING BACTERIN OINTMENT TO RUB ON OUTSIDE OF ANUS TO PROCTECT SKIN AND PREVENT INFECTION. I USE MY SHOWER TO CLEAN MY ANUS TWICE A DAY SO FAR. AND I'VE BEEN ON FIBER DIET AND DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER AND GREEN TEA, BEFORE I HAD THE CHRONIC FISSURE, BUT OF COURSE I WILL BE ON THIS DIET THE REST OF MY LIFE LOST 25 POUNDS FROM DIET AND I'VE ADDED BENEFIBER SUPPLEMNET TWICE A DAY AS DIRECTED BY DOCTOR. THATS A NATURAL WHEAT SUPPPLEMENT , THAT DOES NOT HAVE PHYILLIUM LAXATIVE, WHICH I CAN'T TAKE CAUSE IT UPSETS MY INTESTINES. I'VE BEEN IN BED MOSTLY CAUSE OF NAUSEA  I TOOK OFF  A WEEK FROM WORK WITH NO PAY, BUT WITH THE NAUSEA I'M HAVING I'M GLAD I DID. I GO BACK TO WORK WEDNESDAY. HOPEFULLY BY THEN I WILL FEEL BETTER ALL THE WAY AROUND. BUT IF YOU HAVE A CHRONIC FISSURE WHICH I HAD, AFTER TAKING LIDOCANE 5% AND NIFIDOPINE2% FOR 6 WEEKS, HELP SOME BUT NO HEALING, THEN ITS RECOMMENDED TO GET THE SURGERY. YOU WILL NOT HEAL ON YOUR OWN WITH A CHRONIC FISSURE FOR IT HAS DEEPENED AND TORN AS FAR AS IT WILL GO AND TURNS INTO AN ULCER. YOU WILL GET INFECTED IF YOU DON'T GET THE SURGERY AND WITH THE SURGERY YOU FINALLY PROMOTE PROPER HEALING AND 95% HEAL RATE...  BY THE WAY I HAVE A FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENT IN 2 WEEKS.  KEEP ME AND OTHERS IN YOUR PRAYERS.

Hi my name is cindy im scheduled friday december 12 2014 for anal fissure surgery im so scare can someone plz share with me your experience ....thank you in advanc

Hi Cindy, the procedural itself is straight forward. They put you out with general anesthetic (if they dont please beg them too) and politely hind them to give you plenty of local anesthetic before you wake up in recover in agony. They will wait for you to pass your first urine (going to be extremely hard at the point). If you try try eat something you might throw up, don't worry it just the general anesthetic. If its only a day surgery, they will get ready to send you home, beg them to stay for the night if you can (make up some excuse). Once the local wears off you need them to give you something strong for the pain that you can't get at home like morphine or endone (these wont get rid of the pain but take the edge off so you can sleep the night. When discharge they will ask you to take 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours (these make take the edge off but the pain will be still unbearable). You can ask for stronger pain killer but i advice against it - codeine and narcotic base drug will cause constipation which make the healing longer. As for stool softener there are a few types 1. Osmotic Laxative type (Lactulose) - watery but make you go more often so i think its a no no for me, 2. Type Stimulant Laxative - This is a no no as well because it may cause spasm in the sphincter and the will hurt as hell. 3. Bulk stool softerner - these are just fiber supplement (Metamucil), this is you best bet. just half tea spoon every meal and have liquid food, As for your bowel movement at home, plan head. Get a very warm sitz bath ready (add some Epsom salt, get from supermarket about $6 a Kg) yeah some people advice water only no salt, but trust me Epsom salt relax the muscle and work wonder! Wet some toilet tissue and leave in from of the toilet bowl where you sit, now get a local anesthetic cream and rub around the anal wound area. The cream you can get over the counter make sure NO CORTISONE this will thin the skin out and give itchy rectum for long time ( i use Rectinol only contain zinc oxide + Cinchocaine). When you pass dont push even if you fell the urge to, just let it flow naturally. When it done you might fell something still left behind don't push, it just he wound now fold some tissue and damn it with the wet tissue you have earlier, dont wipe it quite sore if you do just dap it, keep doing it until you done. You might see blood every where, it will slowly slow down as days go by. No go to the sitz bath and soak you bottom in it, Sit relax for 10 mins and hopefully pain will melt away. [another thing, i have my DR prescript me Valium, its also use to treat muscle spasm, most of the pain are from sphincter spam so it does help trememdously, but drawsy and cannot leave the house, great for watching all the episode i missed] [So all up 2x pannadol + 2x nurofenn +2 Valium every 4-6 hours]