I'm 37 years old with 3 children. I currently have a Paraguard IUD. My menstrual cycle is 24 days long. The other day (about the 14th day) I had cramping, then some pink discharge. I also had some mild breast tenderness. Then I was fine for a few days then all of a sudden I had severe cramping and heavy bleeding with large clots. (about the 17th-18th day of a 24 day cycle) The heavy bleeding and clots continued for 5 days before it slowed down. Then the pink discharge continued. This has happened 3 previous times since I've had the IUD in. All other periods have been normal, moderate bleeding. I've had the IUD in for 3 1/2 years. (after the birth of my last child). Could I have possibly gotten pregnant and miscarried or it failed to implant? I dont' want to sound dumb but I felt like I did with each of my pregnancies. With each of my children I had cramping and with my first pregnancy I had a period until I was 3 months pregnant.

You should know that means of contraception like the one you use have also their side effects which you have to face, like it or not. I myself don’t use anything except for condoms, I once started taking Logest pills and stopped in a few days, it just felt not right for me. Then I started taking Yasmin pills which caused rash all over my body and I gave these ones up as well. I just can’t stand the changes in my organism. This is why I still believe condoms are the best solution for me, it can’t have any side effects or complications except breaking, which happened to me only once during my whole sex life.
I have a few friends that are using various kinds of contraception, some use the same as you and they all have the changed menstrual flow since they have started it. Also they complain about heavy cramping and pains in the back, sometimes it can be pretty serious as far as I am concerned. I know that they all sometimes have the spotting between periods and this, together with the excessive menstrual bleeding can lead to anemia as well, so you have to consider taking some iron pills or something.
If you have any suspicious that you might have got pregnant, you can always have the ultrasound, right?

ALSO if you were pregnant a pregnancy test(most likely early blood test) would show up...

I have an IUD and have never experiened anyhting like you have. I have no children, do not want any...

I've been desperately searching the net to see if this was normal. I am 22 years old and I have two children. I have also experienced a miscarriage prior to using Paragard, so I know how my body reacts to both. I've been using Paragard since October 2004. In December 2005 I went to the E.R. because I felt VERY sick. I turned up with a positive urine pregnancy test and two days later with a negative blood pregnancy test. Within days I started my period, which was late to begin with, and bleed much heavier and painfully than normal. This also resulted in heavy clotting, etc. I felt like I did when I previously had a miscarriage. Since then, I have experienced pregnancy symptoms (spotting, cramping, nausea, fatigue, etc.) once every several months proceeded by a (usually) late period with very heavy bleeding, clotting and cramping. This has become routine for me and it's more than just a nuisance. I'm seriously thinking about using condoms with my IUD as extra protection even though I am monogamous, to help prevent this from happening. To give you an idea of what I mean by "heavy" bleeding, I'll compare it to my normal menstrual cycle:

Normal Menstrual-
Premenstrual- light cramping
1st day- light spotting for a few hours and gradually up to medium/heavy bleeding
2nd day- heavy bleeding with small clots
3rd day- medium bleeding
4th day- minimal bleeding/medium spotting
Postmenstrual- light spotting occasionally for one day

"Heavy" Menstrual-
Premenstrual- painful, heavy cramping and nausea
1st day- heavy bleeding without warning and cramping with large clots
2nd day- heavy bleeding with clots and cramping
3rd day- heavy bleeding and clots
4th day- heavy/medium bleeding with medium/small clots
5th day- medium bleeding
6th day- medium bleeding
7th day- medium/minimal bleeding
8th day- heavy/medium spotting
Postmenstrual- medium to light spotting occasionally for a few days

Notice how the "heavy" periods last twice as long and are twice as intense. These cycles are also usually up to 5 days late, but not always.

So there you have it my friend, you are not alone. It's definitely reassuring to me knowing I am not either. Thank you for sharing with us.

A final note: I think Paragard is DEFINITELY a great way for family planning. However, the morality of the way it works is an ever increasing concern for me as I do indeed want more children one day. I would be devastated if I was unable to conceive (for any reason unrelated to using contraceptive), knowing I had 'wasted' so many pregnancies while using paragard. Paragard focuses more on preventing a woman from keeping a pregnancy, and not so much on preventing actual conception. I think this issue should be reported to health professionals as a possible side-effect and looked into further. This may affect the decision of people on whether it's right for them regarding their moral beliefs.

WOW... Thank you ladies. Thought I was going nuts. Three late periods, in a row, with ALL pregnancy symptoms and heavy bleeding when I finally start.

Copper IUD. Have had it for years, but I have a new partner... apparently more fertile. I'm 40, and I THINK I'm done with the having the more kids thing. Mine are grown.

I don't mind the symptoms, as long as the egg isn't implanting and I'm misscarrying SO early.

Thanks for sharing.

ACTUALLY... Paragard has COPPER in it, Copper is a POTENT spermicide. Copper kills sperm.

IUD's work MAINLY by preventing conception/fertilization, but they do prevent implantation.

I just had a miscarriage with an iud and it is not normal They had to remove mine and I will never get another one I for one do not want any form of birth control that will do this. all it does is compromise the uterus forcing a miscarriage. I thought I was losing my mind I felt pregnant yet I was bleeding and then tuesday thru thursday I had excruciating pain. I am now waiting til monday to find out if I am experiencing a tubal pregnancy miscarrying or still pregnant. IT IS SERIOUS CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR!!!! If the string is too long or gone or you have a positive test!!!! (or if you are even mildly concerned. IT IS DANGEROUS TO BE PREGNANT WITH ONE!!! More people get pregnant with these things than I was aware of and I am ANGRY!!!! Mine had to be removed.

YOU HAD A POSITIVE TEST, that is different!

ShE did not have a positive test.

I went on this site because that's what I thought was happening to me. I got a Mirena IUD in Nov 07. For about 6 months, my period was normal. Then about 3 months ago, I started spotting for 3 weeks, and 1 week with no blood. About 2 months ago my breasts started feeling a little tender. I guess I didnt think I was pregnant because I thougth it's supposed to be so rare, and I was still bleeding. (I have 2 kids and I didnt get a period with either pregnancy.)

This month (2 days ago,) after spotting for about 5 days, I started feeling "gushes" of blood. I ignored the first 2 or 3 because sometimes 1 or 2 might be normal during a period. After a few, I went to the bathroom to check my pad. It was full. (I had just put it on 20 minutes before.) As I was going to change it, I felt something like a tampon fall out of me. A moment later I felt/heard another one. When I looked inside the toilet, I saw the IUD embedded within a blood "tampon."

I called my doctor the next day and set up an appointment. Yesterday was a "normal" period day, so I thougth maybe it was just my body rejecting the IUD. But this morning I felt "gushes" of blood again, and when I went to the bathroom, I felt a bunch of clots come out. I thought maybe it was a miscarriage. I went to the doctor's office and they did a preg. test which came back negative. I have another appointment for this afternoon.

I will never get another IUD.

For three months after I got my IUD I did nothing but bleed. I have had this IUD for 3 years now. I wish I would have never got it. I have had 8 cists bust on my ovaries.

I will getting a new form of birth control thanks to all the reading I have been doing on the IUD ...... With my new husband I have had several feelings of being pregnant with the IUD and which each ending in a hard core HEAVY clottey messy miserable period. I morally can't do this anymore. If I wanted to get pregnant and terminate my pregnancy I would have never have gotten this form of birth control. It is making me an emotional wreck because my body keeps gettting pregnant and then the IUD makes my womb a hostile place for the baby to grow and hence kills it!!! It really is a form of abortion

Yes, I have had this form of IUD in me since my last birth, he is 6. My doctor actually recommended it and she has NO children, imagine that. (it is what she uses) What she failed to tell me is that this does not prevent ALL PG's, and when you do get PG it just does not allow your body to have the baby. "SIGH". So how can you say "wasting all these pregnancies?" It is a form of murder and I will be having mine taken out. I am tired of being on a roller coaster of emotions due to the fact that it is allowing me to get pregnant and making my womb like a war zone, hence killing the baby. Furthermore an IUD can actually make you sterile.. I have been reading up and researching this method.. Not for me anymore, mines coming out........I am all about preventing pregnancies but not terminating them. It is immoral and I feel like a piece of "poo" because of it.

Well i had my IUD put about a year ago, I always had long period but last month I had it for longer than usual actually I am still bleeding and now it have been for over the a month. Well I started to feel pregnant and did a preg test it turnd out posetive. I went to ER to take IUD out but my urine test showed that I am not pregnat, well next day I went to OBG and my blood test showed that I am pregnant. My Doc took the IUD out and now I am waiting for another blood test to see if I am steel pregnant or had a miscarege ,during all that i AM continueing bleeding and still feel pregnant.
By the way my sis got pregnant with IUD too. I dot know what I was thinking .

I have the Mirena IUD.. It's the second IUD I've had. When I got my first one things were wonderful at first. It stopped all my periods.. I had no side effects.. But I got pregnant about 6 months after having it implanted. The IUD came out on it's own and I continued a successful pregnancy.

After my daughter was born I got another IUD. They said the chances of my getting pregnant again were nearly nonexistant. So far i have had 4 miscarriages in the 18 months I have had it and I am going in tomorrow for a D&C to have my uterus cleaned out from my 5th miscarriage.

I never would have gotten ANY IUD had I know that it would be killing implanted fetuses instead of preventing conception or implantation.

This month I was sure I was pregnant. I had tender breasts, very moody, heart burn and nausea. I have one child already, and compared to my last pregnancy the symptoms weren't entirely the same, but similar. On top of that people were starting to ask me if I was because I had larger breasts and the "pregnancy glow." I had had my last period as normal, and so I was assuming that if I was pregnant it was only a few weeks along. I took a few pregnancy tests when my next period was due to start and they turned up negative.
When I was due to start this month, the first day I had very light spotting. Normally within the first day that is a normal progression, but by the 2nd day there was no spotting and no cramping. I thought this was another sign I was pregnant.
The end of the second day, my husband and I had intercourse, after which cramping started and heavy bleeding followed. I assumed I wasn't pregnant after all. I am on my fourth day of my period and am still experiencing cramping and heavy bleeding with large blood clots. I normally bleed heavily for only two days, and have some blood clots, but this is time it is exceptional, and the cramping is unusual as well. Cramping in a normal period only lasts for one day. The clots look strange as well. Some are very dark, and others are a lighter pink. I am beginning to fear that I had a miscarriage because of that. I used an IUD for three years, but a year ago I had it removed because it was painful, and I had heavy painful periods. I am surprised that I haven't gotten pregnant before, but after reading everyone's entries, I am wondering if I had previous miscarriages. I am afraid that the IUD somehow caused infertility by damaging my uterus. With my first child, I had a c-section as well, and I wonder if there is any resulting scar tissue that could cause infertility. I don't know what to think. Does anyone have any advice?