I know diagnosis of renal stone disease involves a medical history, physical examination, laboratory evaluation, and imaging tests. I know this because my doctor was suspicious kidney stones are my problem. That is why he wanted to determine if I had a history of kidney stones. Now he said I should have some exams done to definitely confirm and give me diagnosis of kidney stones. I am a little bit worried and I would like to know which diagnostic methods I should expect to have.

I guess your doctor have tried physical examination, that may be difficult if you are experiencing severe pain and if you were unable to remain still. Lightly tapping on the kidney region often worsens the pain. Laboratory tests that could be done to diagnose kidney stones include urinalysis to detect the presence of blood and bacteria in the urine. Other tests include blood tests for creatinine, BUN and electrolytes, calcium, and a complete blood count. Ultrasound is common test used to diagnose kidney stones. Ultrasound has high-frequency sound waves, which produces pictures of internal structures. Ultrasound can detect a dilated upper urinary tract and kidney caused by a stone lodged in the ureter, but usually cannot detect small stones, especially kidney stones that are located outside the kidney. It is the preferred imaging method for kidney stone patients who are pregnant, while for others there are more diagnostic methods. One of those methods is intravenous pyelogram. This test involves taking a series of x-rays after injecting a contrast agent into a vein. That is why, if a kidney stone is blocking a ureter, the contrast agent builds up in the affected kidney and is excreted more slowly.