this morning when i went to change my 12month old daughter she had a very wet diaper but what scared me was that there was a whole bunch of clear jelly like substance in her diaper can you please tell me what that was from?

hi there../ I am pretty sure that it is nothing to be concerned with....I have noticed in the past that if my sons diapers have gotten overly "full" of urine...there has been jelly in there as well...it is from the diaper lining....not from your daughter. It is a crystal like substance in the lining itself that absorbs the liquid...if it gets overly saturated it leaks out into the diaper.

Most likely, it's polyacrylate- the super-absorbent polymer that can hold hold up to 500 times it's weight. I only know this because I wear disposable diapers for my incontinence. If inside of the diaper gets torn, or there's a factory defect, the polyacrylate will fall out. Don't it's perfectly harmless.

The first two posters gave good advice. I have some experience working with super absorbant polymer, and it indeed appears as clear jelly.

However, I'll add another thought, in case the jelly-like symptoms have persisted after you've ruled out an issue with her diapers. I am a 28 year old male and I was recently passing jelly in my urine. Often times it was clear jelly, although it was also sometimes a brownish color. I was recently diagnosed with a urachal cyst (a cyst on a specific part of my bladder). Urachal cysts are quite rare, but sometimes can drain into the bladder. This cyst-drainage can be a jelly. If your daughter's condition has not resolved, I'd encourage you to take her to see a doctor. Primary care doctors do not always know what a urachal cyst is, because it is so rare. However, urologists are aware of the condition. If a primary care doctor rules out other conditions, see a urologist. My cyst was diagnosed by a urologist during a cystoscopy. I recently had it surgically removed to prevent it from turning into a cancer.

Again, a urachal cyst is an unlikely explanation for your daughter. However, I wanted to put it out there for you or any other people looking for this type of medical information. I had trouble locating any information about passing jelly in my urine and hope to help others with similar symptoms get properly diagnosed.

its fine i did an experiment and u can try it too the makers of the diapers use a crystal like substance to soak up the water so the pee doesnt leak out its simple to see what im talking about all u have to do is take a diper and cut it open and take out all of the crystal like substance out and put it in a cup then add water and stir and then let it sit and then u will get a jelly like substance dont worry about it btw u r taking this from a twelve year old but believe me i know just try it :-D

Yep, I just changed my 2 year old daughter's diaper and she had this all over her front. I tore open a new diaper and it was filled with the crystals...when wet they turned into the same jelly I found on her.

I had this happened to me once. Did my research and it is non toxic chemical called Sodium polyacrylate. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

thank you so much for posting this!!!!! you have no idea how freaked out my husband & i were this morning to find our 9 month old's chest covered with jelly too!!!! it was like a horror movie! lol..

Thank you for all these explanations!!  We were freaking out to see the jelly like substance in our 12 month old pee when  he woke up. What a relief

Same thing happened to my wife this morning with our 13 month old. She screamed for me to take a look. I asked if it could be from the diaper and my wife did not think so. She called the doctor while I went on the net and did some research. Ultimately, I concluded it must be from the diaper. The diaper was soaked because my daughter slept all the way through the night. It was very heavy. To confirm my belief, I grabbed some scissors and cut the diaper. Sure enough, the same jelly like stuff came oozing out. I would just skip to cutting the diaper if this just happened to you. More than likely....that is the issue.

Thanks for all the information. I was freaked out to see those jelly type crystals in my newborns diaper as I use to cut his diaper a little bit from the top to prevent it from touching his cord. I went to see the doctor and he was not sure what it was and recommended a urine test.