i am a 28 year old male and occasionally i pass a thick, jelly like substance in my urine that causes pain throughout the inside of my penis... this substance is so thick that it will not flush with the water in the toilet and it is VERY sticky to the touch. is this an std or a kidney stone? god, i hope not.......

im a 19 year old female and ive been very sick recently... i think its the flu but unlike any other time ive been sick ive been passing this clear jelly in my urine as well. I know I dont have stds as ive been checked multiple time since the last i had sex. its very sticky to the touch as well but it doesnt hurt to pass it... does anyone know what this could be?

it could be a sign of diabetes. you should check with your doctor.

I am a 28 year old male who had a symptom similar to that described by the 19 year old female, although I was not feeling physically sick. I was passing a jelly-like substance in my urine, but had no pain. The material was denser than water, as it sunk to the bottom of the water in the toilet. It ranged in color from clear to a reddish-brown. The jelly did not always come out at the beginning or the end of my urine stream, but rather came out at seemingly random times.

Doctors very recently diagnosed me with a urachal cyst. These rare cysts generally can form between the urachus (a specific part of the bladder) and the the umbilicus (your innards underneath your belly button). These cysts may drain either through the belly button or into the bladder, although that symptom is not always present. My particular cyst was draining through the bladder, giving the jelly-like discharge in my urine.

A urologist first found the cyst during a cystoscopy. I then went for a CT to determine the size of the cyst. Luckily for me, my cyst was very small. I then had the cyst removed laparascopically. The surgery was performed using the da Vinci, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system. Subsequent pathology confirmed the cyst was benign and had not turned into cancer.

Now, I'm there are other conditions that could result in jelly being passed in urine. However, if you've been to a primary care doctor and he/she ruled out other possibilities (e.g., a urinary tract infection or an STD), I encourage you to visit a urologist. Keep in mind that a urachal cyst is a very, very rare condition. As a result, primary care physicians and other medical professionals may not have even heard of it (my primary care doctor had not heard of it), much less have any idea how to diagnose it. A urologist, however, should know what it is. If not, I'd suggest seeing a different urologist.

Urachal cysts are very serious growths and need to be removed surgically because the cysts tend to turn malignant (ie, they tend to turn into cancers) and form a urachal cancer. These cancers are particularly aggressive, meaning a cyst should be removed if it is found so that a cancer does not form. Cysts are much more likely to be benign in young people, like those who have posted on this forum. However, I'd strongly encourage you to see a specialist and get checked out. If they find a cyst, have the surgery. The doctor will cut out the portion of the bladder around the cyst and will also remove the "urachal remnants" so the subsequent cysts do not form. In my case, I'm homebound for ~10 days with a catheter. While not a fun experience, it is not that big of a deal either. I am very thankful my cyst was caught early and removed.

I did some searching on the internet when I noticed my jelly-like discharge and did not find anything that was particularly useful. Hopefully this information is useful to all of you.

hi im wondering if anyone can help me. my three year old daughter is passing a yellow/orange jelly substance in her urine can anyone help

how young could this start, no other info on the internet has helped me. 

thanx i currently have this problem ive had it for 3 years and my doctor sent me to a gum clinic but its not an sti and my doctor said its probably my diet.im really worried now im going to ask to see an urologist and ill let yous know what happens.so thanx again for the info

hi guys at the moment I have a stent in and have kidneys stones and I am passing this jelly when I pee its painful and I honestly believe its too do with kidney stones

I too have had a large kidney stone. I have had lithotripsy and a stent placed in my ureter. I am passing a thick jelly that is very uncomfortable to pass. It burns as it passes and is painful in my bladder as well. I was concerned, as the urologist did not mention anything of the sort. I feel much better though, knowing that others have the same issue. I can only assume that it is a result of manipulation and trauma to the urinary tract. 

Hi, I am a 33 years old Female paraplegic, I have just had surgery to have a cystoscopy and have my suprapubic catheter moved due to a lot of leakage of urine from my old site.

I have had a yellow/brownish Jelly with/out white stings in or attached to the jelly in my urine that blocks my cath for some time now, which I thought it was a lot then but now it is a ridiculous amount and huge, with blood (which the blood maybe put down to the surgery, but have suffered with UTI/Kidney Infection my whole life on and off) but this is blocking my cath and creating a lot of pain when it does until it moves, sometime into the cath but sometimes through my pee the normal way cause it wont pass through the cath and it explodes out the normal way. It is really thick and still has the white in or attached. 

I also get white stuff Big and small in my urine as well I drink a lot fluids so am not dehydrated, but I only peed 370ml since 8.30pm and it is now 3.45am. I am also getting hot flushes and pain in my left side kidney area and my legs swell up and get very big and firm. I have also previously had a lot of calcium like stuff in my urine for a long time to a point it builds up and clogs the cath as well.

What do I do? What is it? I also only have 1 Kidney and need to know if it might be an issue with the kidney.  If you can help please let me know asap. I need to know if i need to go back to the hospital. Thanks.

Dear Orca User,    My mother is a 54 year old paraplegic and has been x 7yrs. She is currently having the same problem, "Jelly like urine clogging her catheter" and hematuria. She has been seeing a urologist but he never seems to have enough time to answer such questions. I am wondering if you have found an answer to your question through any urologist/nephrologist you may have seen. I am currently a PA student and have come up with the following possibilities: cause of Urachal cysts, cause of uncontrolled diabetes, cause of recurring UTI's, cause of kidney stones, cause of vesicovaginal fistulas... Best of luck to you. Stay strong!

Sincerely EB.

I am 13 and I pass thick yellow gel like substance when I piss.is this normal or should I see a doctor?

I too have a stent and am passing jellylike substance any idea y?????

Hi EBpa, I ended up going to the ED and being admitted for a UTI & placed on IV antibiotics. This helped but didn’t fix the whole problem.

I have been to see my urologist several times since writing this, and asked about the crystals and the blocking it causes. I have also asked about the disgusting smell it creates. He never seems to be concerned about it, and when asked what I can do he says he doesn’t know what it is and knows of nothing to be done. REALLY?

I mean it has been going on for so long now I am worried, as it caused my normal passage to block as well yesterday, which normally will allow the pee out (explosively) when my cath blocks, but it was also blocked with the crystals yesterday and bled. It was so painful.

I am concerned I will get kidney and bladder stones from this and maybe even damage to my kidney and or bladder. I can not afford for this to happen as I only have one kidney, and if I lose it I am stuffed.

I also asked my GP (General Practitioner) about it, and again nothing is done.

I asked the hospital about it when I was in for my gallbladder removal a few months ago and all they said was how disgusting the smell was, changed the bag (which gets layered with the crystals and slime & stinks to high heavens) and did nothing.

No one seems to want to do anything about it, not even find out what is causing it. No tests nothing.

I am starting to think no one actually cares. It is wrong how these things seem to be overlooked until it is too late to do anything. I think Money is the Key (You have it, you get something done, You don’t you suffer, and nothing is done. Sad but true).

I am at my wits end with it all and cant find anything about it, or any solutions. If the specialist cant or won’t do anything who will.

Even the district nurses are at a loss. They record it down and say something needs to be done, but they cant do anything themselves. They have written me letters to give to the specialist, but they just glance and disregard them.

I asked the specialist once about having a Urostomy done (A urostomy is a surgical procedure which diverts the normal flow of urine from the kidneys and ureters into a specially created stoma), but they refuse, with the excuse of having only 1 kidney.

I don’t know what to do or anywhere else I can go.

I hope your Mum has gotten help with hers, and if so, can you please let me know what they did to fix it. Take care and good luck to you both Hun.

Thank you for info