Hello. My daughter is 14. Recently she's been recovering from bad case of flu, so the doctor sent her to get a blood test and urinalysis. Results were normal except her urine test, which revealed the presence of calcium oxalate in urine. I'v heard that calcium oxalate crystals may have something with forming of kidney stones. My daughter complained about lower back pain, but I thought it's just flu related pain. She had pain in her legs, arms, bones and muscles, but I never thought it could be related to something other than flu. She also complained about stomach pain.  Also there is no history of kidney stones in anyone in our family. Should I be concerned? Has anyone ever had calcium oxalate crystals in urine test results? Could it be caused by some medications she's been using? She also had UTI and trouble urinating while she was sick. 

If your doctor found calcium oxalate crystals in your daughter's urine, I'm surprised he/she didn't see if kidney stones are present.  If they are present, you'll need to get rid of them.  The first line of attack would be to dissolve them with a certain diet and medication.  It is possible to have them removed with laser treatment if necessary.  You need to find out what your doctor thinks needs to be done.  If she doesn't have kidney stones now she may in the very near future.  Ask you doctor about a change in diet.  The appropriate diet can prevent oxalate crystals from forming.  Good luck to you.

HI Guest, My daughter has been complaining about the exact same symptoms and was found with oxalate crystals in her urine. She has been fighting a cold for the past 5 days, however she had been complaining of leg pain, stomach pain, arm pain and back pain previous to the cold. If you don't mind me asking, what was the end diagnosis? Why was she having all those symptoms.