This thing happened to me again last night. It is very weird and it doesn’t happen all the time. It is when I go to bed and am about to fall asleep I have a feeling as if I am going to fall into this hole and I suddenly jump in my sleep, wake up for a moment, realize what happened and then I go back to sleep. I have never talked about this with anyone before. I wonder if there are other people who have experienced this sometimes.

Yes, this also happens to me too. Just like you said, it doesn’t happen all the time, only sometimes. It is strange but I was never worried as I noticed my cousin has this same effects. We would sleep in the same bed when ever I would visit her, and she would often have this jumping thing, sometimes even a couple of times during the night. To me, it happens only once and that’s it. I have no idea what it is.

I can tell you, I am so over the jumping in the sleep this has been happening to me for years, I am now starting to research it because its just getting out of hand, And like you both said yes it is only once we lay down to go to sleep, my girl friend starting taking her hand and just lightly rubbing my back and then it would not happen but now even that is not helping. I can honestly say I know it did NOT happen when I was not smokeing cigarettes ( only bad habbit) so I am wondering if it has something to do with that. Also for me it is more than once its like the 1st 15 minutes of me laying down. Now I am to the point that i dont even want to get into the bed until i am dead tired.

If i find out what is causing this i will return to give my findings.

Okay, so I said I would return when I found something out.
What we have is a condition known as sleep myoclonus. This fancy term refers to the involuntary contraction and relaxation of muscles, which is what is causing the jumping your partner sees. Most people with this condition do not realize they are twitching. The movements occur early in the sleep cycle and may be triggered by external stimuli such as loud noises or movements your partner makes in the bed. We do not know what causes myoclonus, but medication may be prescribed in severe cases.

I tried this for 2 days and I have not jumped AT ALL for the past 2 nights.
so i wanted to let you know there is hope.
3 hours prior to going to bed do NOT drink anything but water, if you have to drink something than water then drink 1 glass of warm milk, do NOT eat anything if you do not do this then you will jump. just try it.
the 1st night i did it and i am not going to lie i did have a minor movement but nothing compared to what it has been and I summed it up to i was drinking a glass of tea then realized duh tea has caffeine in it. so last night i did it and after 7 pm I had NOTHING at all i went to bed at 11pm and not a single jump i even work up at 10am this morning and that my friends is a miracle because 6am sharp i am UP...

Good luck!
hope it helps.

I often jump violently when lying on my back having an afternoon siesta therefore I try to rest on my side and thisdoes help.

For the last 4 months I haven't been able 2 sleep on my stomach. When I do my stomach jumps over and over. Have 2 sleep on my side then I'm fine. What is wrong with me. I love sleeping on my stomach.

Fir me that was hapening after 3 years that was hapening beachoose im was drinking energy drinks every day but now my country dided energy drinks N-18 and that stoped it can also be caused by stres and lot of athored stuffs

Hello
Had heard that this is a kind of check the body do, to check the status of arm, legs etc, a quick movement in the whole body, then it shud get an response from different nerves.
This should be the reason of why you wake up, if sleeping on your arm etc. Had heard stories about peoples so drunken, that this system do not work any more, and later had a "dead" arm.

I realized I jump while lying down after 10 to 15 minutes. The cause of my problem is, having a strong one before bedtime. Drink a glass of water.. No alcoholic beverages one hour before bedtime..Stress also causes nerves tension that will make you jump as well...

Some of us who are additive to coffee jump while sleeping or lyingdown...Cut out the coffee and jumping will stop...