I have drank from time to time over the past several years. Many times binging in the company of friends. I am in my late-20's. A while back, I stopped cold turkey and had made some good progress because alcohol wasn't having a very good effect on my life. I faltered recently and I come here only anonymously for advice.

However, several days ago, I drank whiskey far in excess and pretty quickly. About 750ml of 80 proof in perhaps two or three hours.

When I woke up the next day and for about a day and a half, my left arm got numb really easily and periodically. And I had some bad chest pains. And it was difficult to maintain a grip with either hand as both forearms felt very tight and still do a little.

I drank plenty of water afterward and took some vitamins. Tried to eat appropriately and so forth.

I am feeling better now, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar affects or if I was close to a heart attack or some other averse reaction?

I don't want that to happen again and I'm going to be stronger about it. That scared me. I am merely concerned about the health effects that I experienced.

it's your body telling you something, I would get it checked out asap.
I drank for only 4 years, quite, had a heart attack 17 years later!

I've had a similar problem. I'm 29, didn't really drink at all until earlier this year. I decided to start drinking Red Wine (1 to 2 glasses per day) to try to lower my cholesterol. After a couple of months, I had tingling in my left hand and chest pain after drinking alcohol. I finally realized that the wine was related and stopped drinking it. I still have the chest pain all of the time, but it is minimal and I have to put my shoulder forward to feel it. The tingling is pretty much gone. I've tried a couple of times since then to have wine, and the next day is terrible. My chest is soar and my hand tingles most of the day. I've been to the doctor, had a CT scan of my chest (heart and lungs), had an MRI of my neck (my neck recently got tighter somehow related to this), breathing tests, blood tests, ECGs, and am going to see a specialist for my shoulder (it pops and clicks on the left side and may be related??). I'm probably going to have a nulcear MRI to rule out heart problems asap also. To top it all off, my tongue has been green for about 4 months now, but I'm hoping it's just fungal. The pain has been flaring up for 10 months now. I'll post back if they ever figure it out...

I am 30 years old and the samething happens to me after drinking alcohol. I haven't noticed if it happens when I drink certain types of alcohol but I will try to pay more attention to that now. I did however, drink about 3 small glasses of red wine last night and woke up this morning with both of my hands having numbness in them. When this has happened in the past, it was only my left hand. I noticed this would happen when drinking heavily the night before. I'm really wondering what causes this?? If you get any answers I would be interested in hearing what the doctors had to say.

Hi, I have often woke up after a heavy drinking session down town or at parties etc Im 18 and have had this since i started drinking properly, this may sound like niavity but have drunk since I was 14-15 and can now hold my drink realy well, I thought at first with being quite drunk that I had been sleeping strangly on my arm but have tonight got in after a jacuzi party of all things and am getting the same numb/sharp pain in my left bisep as always does this relate??

thank you

Saturday I opened a bottle of red wine which I'm a very casual Saturday night drinker. I had a small glass of red and for the first time ever my left arm started to tingle from my bicep all the way to my finger tips. I had moved heavy furniture earlier that day so thought I had bruised a nerve or something like that. I finished my glass and had a snack drank some water and my husband and I had a second glass. The numbness had relaxed a little when I stopped drinking for about 45 minutes but then when I started my second glass it started it up again. It was really strange. I immediately associated the numbness to the wine so did not drink the rest. I assumed I was having an alergic reaction to an ingredient or something. Anyway now it's peeked my curiosity know this is somewhat common.

I drink quite a lot, excessively no doubt. My wife is a nurse and told me the numbness in left arm that I experience when I wake up is due to falling asleep drunk. When you sleep absolutely drunk, your body will not turn in your sleep, and so you sometimes cut off the circulation to your arm. This explaination seemed to make sense to me because in a few minutes it usually gets better. Of course, no matter the cause, the answer is to stop drinking but....

Hi All.,

I am so so grateful for all your shared experiences. I have the same problem. I drank heavy, fell asleep on a chair for about 3 hours, woke up and realised my little finger plus the end of my ring finger were totay numb. The numbness has gone away a bit , but hasn't totaly dissapered, is it normal for numbness/tingling to take a while to dissapear? It has been three days since it happened. The third being today.

Again just wud like to say such a big ty to all in this forum. Its peoples experiences that count and help others. Peace!

It's called "saturday night palsy" in neurology... and it occurs quite frequently with patients who drink. They often fall asleep unaware that their radial nerve is compressed, and since they do not move, this has an affect on the arm the next day  .***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

See alcoholic neuropathy.  The amount you need to drink and location it occurs is often genetic, but regular drinking kills your nerve endings over time.

my hand has been numb for two days.

Supernat - Did you ever figure this issue out? I have had a very similar experience. All of the sudden about two years ago I was drinking (by medical standards binge drinking) and noticed my left hand started tingling and felt like it was going numb. I obviously freaked out and rushed to the hospital thinking I might somehow be having a heart attack at age 23. I'm now 25 years old and I've had ongoing issues like this almost every time I drink in excess, which is still less than I ever did in college. During that time, I've had more pains in different areas of my arm, neck, and shoulder on the left side. I also sometime get these symptoms in my right arm. One thing I noticed was that my blood pressure typically spikes when I've been drinking, although not so much the day after but more like two or three days after a night drinking too much. Overall, it appears that I am having circulation problems, but no doctor I've spoken with can figure out what is wrong with me. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced, especially since I'm typically pretty healthy and exercise regularly, not overweight, and I do not drink more than once a week these days (recently not at all). I've seen an endocrinologist, who told me my liver and kidneys were fine and all other functions totally normal. I've had a scan on my carotid artery to test for blockage (in response to neck pain) as well as a CT scan of my heart and vascular system, which showed up normal (no blockage). I've seen a neurologist which shows no signs of nerve damage that should cause my arm/fingers to go numb, and I've done several blood tests, stress tests, EKGs - almost everything either my doctor or I can think of. I still don't know what's causing these symtpoms, but unfortunatley I fear every time I have a few drinks that I'll have major symptoms arise for almost a week following, so my only solution has been to avoid alcohol altogether. At my age, I wish there was a better alternative so I wouldn't' have to worry so much about drinking occasionally.

-Will

I have gone out and cut back on drinking cause my hangovers are scary the next day. I need a day to recover but when I get home the next day I need sleep , labrada protein shake mix and water or coconut water well I fall a sleep sometimes I wake up thinking scary thoughts so I have read scripture it helps take an aspirin and go back to sleep well ill wake up 2 hours later I can't even feel my pinky finger I can't even feel the joint it's completely asleep I have to raise my hand up also I have low blood pressure and so didn't think anything about my numbness . I went out Friday night and had two fuzzy navels and same thing pinky went numb it could be the way I slept or lacking in vitamins I'm going to start taking vitamin b complex it helps with nerve and anxiety and it helps you while u drunk it brings u back to life .

So I’m pretty sure everyone’s symptoms here are caused by major indigestion and heartburn. If you are not familiar with the pains it’s causes, it can feel like your having a heart attack. Acid splashing onto the same nerve system that controls your whole upper left side can definitely feel weird. Look up GERD and chest pain. Every time I drink alcohol the acid in my stomach builds up and gives me these pains. There’s nothing wrong with you unless you start feeling disoriented or lightheaded, and not because of anxiety caused from wondering what’s wrong with you.

Hey all, I can add something here. A couple weeks ago I got way too drunk, had a whole 750ml bottle of 80 proof liquor one night, don't remember too much of it. Somehow I ubered home, then woke up barefoot about a mile away from my house in back of a warehouse. When I got home I realized my right arm had big numb patches, my neck was very swollen on one side as well. I figured it was temporary nerve compression from sleeping funny, and the symptoms subsided after several dies.
Needless to say it scared the c**p out of me, I've been drinking for 13 years, I'm 30 now, and never had anything like this happen, so I resolved to not drink liquor.
Tonight, I had a couple of beers for the first time since that incident, and my right arm is going even more numb as I'm typing, reading the comments here I can't really figure out what's going on.
Anyone have any more insight into this phenomenon?