I take a couple of valerian about an hour before bedtime and 1 melatonin right at bedtime. I DON'T like to take long time to fall asleep! This works just great, I fall asleep quickly and sleep all night, and if I do wake up during the night, I have no trouble going back to sleep. But if I drink even 2 or 3 small glasses of wine, I will be awake after 3 or 4 hours and neither more melatonin or valerian nor both will put me back to sleep - no effect. About the only thing that will help is another glass of wine - and that really isn't a good thing. My research tells me alcohol interferes with sleep in many ways so it is hard to know exactly WHAT the problem is here. So I do not know what to take to solve the problem. (I think it is more the alcohol at fault than the tyrosine in the wine, because if I drink small amount of some hard liquor, same thing happens). Of course somebody will tell me not to drink the alochol, and most nights, I do not, but I'd like to be able to enjoy it sometimes without having 1/2 night's sleep

Unfortunately, I'm going to be the guy who tells you that if you continue to drink wine while you are trying to fall asleep then you will wake back up. When you go to sleep without drinking wine, do you stay down for the night? Alcohol has a depressant effect that wears off after a few hours, so I imagine that is why you are waking back up.