Hi can anyone advise my lovely wife went out on her 35th birthday 2 years ago and drank far too much red wine and was really ill. Normally she only drank on special occasions so she was not by any means a regular drinker. Well you would imagine that she would learn a lesson and moderate her intake from then on but something very strange has happened now if she drinks at all for example 1 glass of red wine at dinner, 7pm she will be ok fine and enjoy the rest of the evening she is not drunk or giggly just normal really, she will be ok to bedtime and maybe for 1 hour while asleep then she will feel sick and soon after vomit then shake have sweats possibly diarrhea for maybe 2-3 hours then the next day she will be shattered as you would imagine.
Well this weekend she had not had a alcoholic drink for two months and I suggested trying 1/2 a Guinness on Saturday afternoon she drank this and was fine then on Sunday we went for a cycle ride past pubs along the canal and at 14.30 she had 1/2 a Guinness then about 17.00 she had 1/2 a Guinness then with dinner at 19.00 she had 1/2 a Guinness and was fine drove us home not drunk or giggly we watched telly till midnight then went to bed and about 00.30 in the morning the nausea and vomiting started

We have paid for tests with cameras in her stomach but no faults were found we have tried different drinks i.e. red wine and Guinness and we have tried substantial periods without drink at all. Doctors automatically think serves you right for drinking, unfortunately and I don’t believe it is physiological as last night on the way home she was happy and not feeling any symptoms or trepidation

Pls Help with good advice

This started recently and has happened the last 2 times she has consumed alcohol. We were drinking wine both times. she is fine all night but once she lays down to try to sleep, she feels sick and and her body starts to shake. Not a very violent shake but similar to a shiver but she is not cold at all. This lasts for a bout 5 hours, she vomits, and lays down and vomits about an hour later then lays down again and so on. Both times we had been up until early morning. She is Type 1 diabetic, on birth control, and was on her menstrual cycle the second time it happened. just some things that may play a role. please help. Thank you.

:D

I would just like to say 3 days ago i had a glass of wine i ended up ill for the whole of the next day and in hospital after not eating possibly sitting in the sun and this is the fourth day. I had shakes and severe headache was told it was migraine from hospital but i usually get sick and shakes im 46 stated at a similar age to your wife and now i dont want to drink as i felt like i was going to die shakes and everything needless to say never again

Shame on you Roger for "suggesting" she even drink after "not having an alcoholic drink for 2 months"
I know it's not my place to judge,but hey you asked for good advice.I wish there was someone who wouldv'e told me to think more reasonably and not to abuse my body before I suffered a near fatal heart attack.I am not a doctor,but one thing I do know after nearly killing myself from bad food,alcohol and drugs is that our body reacts to adverse things as a warning sign of something more ominous.

Hi! really understand what your wife was going through. So far have not been able to find an answer for this. I know my body so well now, basically it can put up with a pint of beer, however, if I have another, everything will be ok until I go back to bed. After approximately half an hour to an hour I will start shivering, a really unpleasant feeling. Then I'd vomit and as if I release some toxins from my body, afterwards will feel ok and will be able to fall back to sleep. Everybody thinks I'm exaggerating but I know it's not that. The whole thing started after I'd finished secondary school, in 1999, I'm 29 now. Haven't suffered from any diseases.

Hi
I am also trying to find out why when I drink alcohol small amounts 2 drinks that I am up all night with severe stomach pain, vomiting, and shaking. I have tried different types of alcohol and it seems to do it with all of it. The funny thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. Labor day weekend, I had two drinks every night and I was just fine. Two weeks ago I went away for the weekend and had one drink at 2pm and then another with dinner at 7 pm. At midnight I woke up shaking and then the throwing up and stomach pain started. I just don't understand why this happens. It started about 10 years ago, and I stopped drinking. About 2 yrs ago I started out by just trying a glass of white wine. Anyway, I am just trying to find out what is going on. I have had blood tests done and all comes back good. If anyone has answers please let me know.

I think it is something to do with sugar. Or glucose to be exact. Especially as your wife is Diabetic, I think that in her case it makes sense. I believe (and I am no doctor so please don't quote me on this) that wine has a high level of sugar in it, or at least is converted by your body into sugar, and that can cause the blood sugar to rise and then to fall so low that it makes you sick and gives you a headache and possibly even the shakes. I may be wrong, but that is my experience.

A similar thing happened to me after drinking a green apple martini at my sister-in-law's home. Her husband is an Los Angeles Fire paramedic and she is an R.N. and they both agreed it is either a food allergy or interaction with medication. Hope this helps!

Hello. I stumbled across your post, and would like to try and help. I am insulin-resistant hyperglycemic. I take medicine to lower my blood sugar(metformin), and you are absolutely not supposed to drink on it, because alcohol lowers blood sugar. Therefore, the reason your wife probably gets so sick is because she is diabetic and the alcohol is affecting her blood sugar levels. Also, have her liver function tested. If she has abnormal liver function, which can be caused by several different things, her liver might be rejecting the alcohol as a sign it can't handle the processing of the alcohol. As others have said, it is not wise to encourage her drinking. I think that if her body reacts that violently everytime she drinks, then she should obviously not be drinking. Vomiting is not just a side effect, and the body is rejecting it for a reason. I am not a doctor. I am only speaking from personal experience and knowledge I've gained from researching my disorder. I hope this helps ;-)

i have been dealing with the same problem. beer doesn't trigger it but if i drink anything else 3-4 hours after i am sleeping i am up puking and shaking. i have been to many doctors have had ct scans and xrays at first they thought it was my gallbladder then peptic ulcers and pancreatitis. well today i am going to a allergist. i know myself very well i have never been a sick person so this worries me very much and it stresses me out not knowing what is wrong with my body. i will drink once a week last week i have 2 shots and jack and cokes in a 8 hour period ate pizza roast beef sandwich and still the same result so as of right now i am going to quit drinking till i figure this out.. i will let you klnow what my results are so maybe that can help your wife

I am a type 1 diabetic, and while drinking can have a negative effect on your system, what I experienced this past weekend was more severe than I ever thought possible from a few drinks. Friday night I went drinking with friends, consuming mostly red wine. I felt fine until I got home, and then it was all downhill. I threw up twice, then drank a glass of water, checked my blood sugar at least every 45 minutes because I was shaking and kept feeling weak, however, my blood sugar was fine (remaining in the 150's, I'd rather it be slightly higher than 100 before sleeping after drinking because my past experience is that my blood sugar will drop over night).

I woke up on Saturday with sour stomach, headache, rapid heartbeat, and feeling really weak. I was throwing up consistently throughout Saturday until nearly midnight. I couldn't keep anything down, so I couldn't eat anything, and I would even throw up after drinking half a glass of water. Knowing that I was dehydrated, I still kept trying to drink water though. My blood sugar was still within the normal ranges (around 100), so I didn't believe that the effects were from glucose levels.

From the other articles I've been reading with people who have the same symptoms, it seems that red wine is a possible culprit, or even developing an allergy to alcohol. So, I don't think it has to do with being diabetic, since I've been reading the same story from not diabetics as well.

I was searching on line for similar symptoms. Have had a couple of intense reactions after drinking alcohol, not much. Nausea, involuntary shaking after waking up in the middle of the night lasting for one to three hours of feeing like @#%^. This last time was many hours after having consumed alcohol in the early part of the day and I was laying down on the couch late evening and sort of had nodded off. And it doesn't happen every time, but defintely think my body is trying to tell me something. I eat healthy, am not diabetic. Suspect that it could be glucose related or possibly gall bladder...........???

im sorry but if your wife has diabetes then she should quit drinking.my dad had it and everytime hed only have a few beers 6 at most thats not even enuff to feel anything but hed get hospitalized from it and the doctors would flat out tell him, you gotta stop your hurting yourself your body. and i myself am figuring out that i get severe alcohol attacks like your wife and my dad as well yet i have NO DIABETES >:| and i am drinking vodka yes but little amounts low potency,21 the highest% but im done this last one i should have gone to the hospital. the pain is strong enuogh to make her cry i bet sometimes.im done drinking its not worth it.if im gonna wake up more screwed up than the night i drink its not even worth it.hope you find comfort though

I thought this was just all in my head tbh, lol umm i turned 18 on the 20th august 1992 ect bla bla but yeah,

I aint diabetic i aint ill, And it's just a random occurence that happens out of the audinary, But yeah once i drank 15 pints at a party at the pub i vomited on my third i felt fine i got home next morning i was fine. Then i thought to my self i'm like 15-16 at the time i'm way too young to be quite frank But as i got older i wanted to regularly drink like to socialise with family&friends but even 1-2 beers of anything anybeer i will feel fine i could drink 10 and feel fine, I will feel tipsy slight drunk i dont get into trouble cause arguments ect, i just go home get some rest then i wake up in the morning not durin the night or early hours i wake up at the time my body wants around 9am or 1pm all depends, But seriously im young it scares me i shake i drink a litre or even a pint of water and im still shaking i eat sweets with sugar and the shakes and the stomoch is still turning and turning when i vomit my throat closes up real tight so i have to force it out and half the time it's not what i have eaten it's mostly stumoch acid not food. which scares me that i'm not puking/vomiting what i've had to eat the night be for or even within the 10-15 mins of eating. i may vomit some food like cerial but the rest is a really tangy white or yellow/orange substance, but yeah it scares me i think i'm gonna die sleep helps after all the vomiting but i dont understand it evryone can drink to cirtain limates but 1 beer is what 1 unit that isn't nearly enough to make you get a hang over or even feel ill the next morning. I aint gone to doctors as i dont like asking for help and all they can do is run tests if they come out clear then nothing can be done as they dont know everything to do with life and human enatimy, So yeah i just want to know if the shakes can be stopped or can i take some sort of medicine to rebuild my immune system or something to withstand even 1 beer to socialise. i dont need loads to have fun and relax but even one pint can make me feel ill, I even bought some ENO to help my stumoch settle but it dosn't help much.

P.S sorry for my grammar and spelling. But yeah this happend when i was 15-16 and carries on i give my body 48 hrs++ like your supposed to but nothing happens.