Okay, so a couple of months ago I had this dream where I was a penguin and there were a whole bunch of other penguins there. (Don't ask me why...) And we were about to jump into the water. But unfortunately, I jumped in too early (I don't know why. I usually never disobey things like that) And I was expecting to see water, but when I hit the water by sight just looked like it does when your eyes are closed. Normally I would have thought that I had woken up, but I could tell I was still asleep. The only difference was that I was consious of my being asleep. Also, i couldn't breath. At all. I couldn't cough, or gasp or move at all. I was just frozen and my lungs were gone or something. Eventually it passed and I opened my eyes and gasped.

I had these types of dreams for a couple more nights until finally I decided not to sleep in my bed, so I got onto the floor in a sleeping bag (it was around May) and I haven't slept in a bed since.(But the dreams stopped too) I want to be able to sleep in a  bed again because they are so much more comfortable but I don't know what was causing those dreams. And I never want them to happen again.

Can anyone tell me what those dreams are and maybe why I can't get comfortable or sleep on a bed? Thanks!

To understand a dream symbol you must first establish what is really happening and how you feel. Think about situations which are similar. If you are drowning then you are powerless and overwhelmed. It must be a desperate situation to be involved in. Therefore it is easy to understand why dreams involving drowning followed on from days when the dreamer felt overwhelmed.

To dream that you are trying to catch your breath or that you are out of breath indicates that you are experiencing some anxiety, tension, or fear concerning a new situation in your waking life.

To dream that you have bad breath suggests that you are feeling enclosed or crowded in. Perhaps someone is invading your personal space.

To dream that you are holding your breath indicates your stubborn state of mind.  Your views are too one-sided. The dream is telling you  to be more open to the opinions of others.

To dream that you are breathing rapidly indicates that you are experiencing some anxiety, tension, or fear concerning a new situation in your waking life.

To dream that you are breathing underwater represents a retreat back into the womb. You want to return to a state where you were dependent and free from responsibilities. Perhaps you are feeling helpless, unable to fulfill your own needs and caring for yourself.  Alternatively, you may be submerged in your own emotions.

To dream that you cannot breathe indicates that you are feeling exhausted. People who suffer from asthma often have dreams of not being able to breath. There is too much going on in your life and you need a break.

You may not be able to breathe in your dreams but only in a bed becuase you have got

1. too heavy covers, try sleeping with a sheet instead of a dooner or both. just use a light blanket if its too cold for just a sheet.

2., let your feet come out of the covers at the end of your bed. you could feel sufficated by the blanket and in your dreams its coming out.

3. Try sleeping with no clothes on. i find if i sleep with a shirt on i have dreams of being strangled, becuase its an annoyance around my neck.

It is odd that you can sleep elsewhere and not have them, but in your bed. Is it any bed or specifially yours that you get the nightmare?

You may have some attatchment to your bed that is causing you to feel overwhelmed. You could try taking a sleeping pill before bed, this often knocks me out and stops dreams from occuring.

You could also try moving your room around so your bed isnt in the same position.

try saying a simple self-belief verse before you sleep. You may feel stupid when doing it but it can help.

"I am safe. I can breathe. I promote positive healing energy within my body and i can controll my dream. I will not let my insecurities take over my will power. I love myself and i will feel safe and not overwhelmed. I will protect myself from danger. I AM STRONG"

The last thing you think about before you fall asleep is usually what starts your dreams. So if your thinking about all the stresses in your life such as work/school, relationships, assessment, health issues, family problems, that is most likely what will come out in your dreams.

Try imagining yourself in your ideal situation. Pretend your a child again without responsibilities or worries. Whether it be, being ridicoulsy rich and living in a mansion. Having alot of friends. Being super happy and not caring what your co-workers/classmates think. The boy/girl you like asking you to be his/her boy/girl freind. Just find what you honestly want to happen to you in your head and you may dream it.

remeber, mind over matter. if you keep thinking it,(positivley) it will happen.

Sorry for the large amount of text, but i hope this helps ! xox

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This will keep me going for a lot of nights in case some of the ideas don't work. To answer your question about it just being my bed, the answer is no. I feel uncomfortable in any bed I have tried to relax in. I don't think it's the covers that are what's making me feel suffocated because I sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor that is much more closed off than what I was used to.

Maybe it's the position of the bed in the room, like you said. I'll try moving the bed or sleeping upside down.

Thanks again!

This sounds like Obstructive Sleep Apnea to me. I suffer from it, and when you stop breathing, it makes you dream that you're in a situation where you can't breathe, when in reality you actually aren't breathing. Arrange a sleep study through your doctor :)

Basically everyone is wrong here... this is called spew paralysis, has nothing to do with dream symbols. Basically happens between the moment of waking or falling asleep. It is associated with not being able to control your body, beyond sight. It's normal, happens to a lot of people. You will be fine sleeping in your bed. I can here wondering why I keep not being able to breath in a part in a dream and not being able to breath in real life... I can't wake up either, I felt almost entirely out of energy and then felt like I was dying then I woke up. Heart was legit pumping...

Yep yep, this^

But it's sleep paralysis, I believe it was a typo on the Guest's part... or autocorrect...

Actually the person above you is pretty much right . Sleep paralysis occurs most of the time though people who have sleep apnea ...

I rhink you're right. Think ain't have developed sleep apnea. Wake up all the time.

He did give some good info, but its most likely that you experienced sleep paralysis. This happens when your mind mind has woken from sleep yet all your muscles are still asleep, causing you to be paralyzed. This only happens for a moment, and having difficulty to breathe is normal. However I don't know the cause to the difficulty in breathing.

You have sleep apnea. It can be life threatening . Get a CPAP machine

Well today i had a very simmilar dream. I was dreaming that someone was waking me up but i was alone in the room and i tried to speak to him but i couldn't speak or breath. Eventually it passed and i woke up. I was consious that i'm dreaming. It was really weird. I was half asleep and half awake.