Hello. I have two cats, one is two years old and other, the older one is 7 years old. Last year, she was diagnosed with kidney disease. It is not anything dangerous, but since I know about this health problem, I am trying to change all bad habits for my cat, all bad food. I have heard that low protein cat foods for cats has a lot of benefits for cats with kidney disease.  

Honestly, I don’t know anything about this. Do you have experience with it? What do you think about this?

Can you, please, tell me more? 

Hey, I was reading a lot about this, because two years ago, I was thinking that my cat had some kidney problems. But, that was not true, and I am glad for this, but as I were saying, I was reading pretty much about this. I know that some experts believe that any benefit from eating low protein food may be from the lower content of phosphorous contained in the food. Protein metabolism residue, and that is something that kidneys must filter, is exactly what you are trying to eliminate – and those are high protein cat foods. So, there are a lot of benefits that low protein food can offer your cat. 

My cat had this disease. She got it when she was 8 years old. It’s not something that is curable, but it can be treated. It’s actually pretty common in older cats to have this disease. So if a cat has chronic kidney disease , her kidneys aren't processing waste as they should. This disease can make a cat nauseous and lower her appetite. She might drink more and urinate more. Now, since proteins come with waste, the more proteins she consumes the more waste she will have to deal with. So eating less protein basically means that less toxins will accumulate in her blood. 

Hey there. It is definitely a good option. When I was a kid, I had only 8 years old, when my cat was diagnosed with kidney disease. It was a lot years ago lol :) and I remember that I didn’t have any possibility to visit the vet, because I was living in the village and I needed to go to the city to visit the vet, and it was far away. But, I remember that one old neighbor told me that I should try to give my cat low protein food, that this will help me. And, it really helped me. My cat was healthy after two months. 

Hello everyone.

I am sorry about your cat. Unfortunately, kidney disease is very common in cats, especially older ones. The good news is that by regulating your cat’s feeding habits you can control the disease and your cat will probably continue to live without too many complications.

Anyway, low protein diet is really good for cats with kidney disease. As someone earlier explained, proteins are hard to digest and also it’s hard for kidneys to process their waste. By reducing protein intake you will make your cat’s kidneys less “stressed” . 

Note that you shouldn’t totally cut off proteins because they stimulate appetite. 

I don’t have much experience with this, but I can share the story from a friend of mine.

Her little Snowball had some serious kidney issues when she was seven. Veterinarian recommended several things for her dietary adjustment.

First, she was suggested to give Snowball wet food as she will be dehydrated from kidney problems. The most important part was to reduce intake of phosphorous as Snowball’s kidneys no longer can excrete excess phosphorous.

As for proteins, he only suggested to eat rabbit and poultry because this meat consists of highly digestible proteins. He never said anything about low-protein diet (at least, my friend hasn’t told me anything about it). 

I really had no idea that there are any benefits of low protein food for cats with kidney disease. My cat had kidney disease and lots of other health problems. I eventually had to euthanize her because she fell into a coma. :( But I remember taking her to the vet when she had kidney problems. He didn’t tell me anything about low protein food benefits for her. I actually used to feed her with high protein foods because I though it would help her return muscle mass she had lost. :/ I should really consider finding a new vet for my cats.

Yes, I forgot to mention, when your cat has kidney disease, you really should try to change her menu, her way of eating, because this is something that you must do, when kidneys do not work properly. My vet told me once that this can be the clue when you want to heal your cat’s kidney disease. So, definitely I would recommend low protein cat diet, but for a while, because I don’t believe that this food is something that you need to give your cat every day. If she is sick, than OK, but you need to consult your vet about this issue.