Are kidney stones somehow connected with milk consumption? My mom drinks lot of milk because of the lack of calcium and osteoporosis, but she has also problem with kidney stones. I believe that there some connection, but I don’t understand. Any ideas?

I guess it is possible. Here is what I know about milk. Milk is naturally sterile when it comes out of the nipple, but as soon as it comes in contact with the air, bacteria begin to grow rapidly, so it has to be pasteurized, a process that kills the bacteria present up to that point. Pasteurization also destroys up to 50% of the vitamin C present in the milk and Homogenization breaks up the milk fat globules so that the fat mixes throughout. This process has been associated with hardening of the arteries and addition of vitamins A and D can cause the problems associated with hypervitaminosis. In fact, vitamin D promotes calcification and in milk it may cause serious damage to the kidneys, among these effects are kidney stones and urinary calculi, and damage to the eyes.

The three countries that consume the most cows milk: US, UK, Switzerland.

The three countries that have the highest rates of osteoporosis: US, UK, Switzerland.

The milk itself is acidic: meaning to digest it, calcium must be used to buffer the acid. If you do not have enough calcium available, it is leached from your bones. The calcium in milk is not very bioavailable and only has a 20-30% absorption. Drinking cow's milk will result in more calcium being lost than gained. Many people are not aware of this and rely on milk for their calcium, instead of eating properly and taking supplements.