Hi.

My friend have been saying that the reason why we get stones (gall stones, kidney stones, etc.) is due to our water being too 'clean' such that it has no minerals.

That is also why he always advise others against using filtration systems.

However, I would like to know if this is true and is there any validity in that statement.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chen: Gallstones are formed by cholesterol or bilirubin, and kidney stones are formed by oxalates or Calcium! So keeping calcium in the water CAN increase the risk of kidney stones! So his thoughts are TOTALLY WITHOUT basis! In fact, filtered water can take out much of the chemicals and minerals we DON'T need - such as CHLORINE! So that is silly! In industrial countries there is NO problems from drinking regular tap water, in fact there has been studies done about just how safe OR different the so called Filtered Bottled Waters are, and many of the big name brands are just regular tap water!!! My husband has several certificates in Water Technology and Safety, he works for our City's Waterworks Department, and do you know that ALL of their employees aren't allowed to drink bottled water? Because our water is SO safe that as far as the city is concerened, there is NO need! So think of it in those terms.

Different foods however, CAN cause stones, ones with a lot of calcium and oxates in them. BUT NOT water!

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

So reducing chlolesterol level within the body will help to reduce the risk of gallstones?

And I have read articles in my local newspaper that states there are different kind of calcium. Complex and Ionic calcium, and it is the former that will cause stones, whereas Ionic calcium(natural form of calcium that is found and used by our body) can help to break down the complex calcium. Is this true?

Hi Chen: Many doctors are divided on diet being an actual cause of any type of stone! Most stones are from genetics or certain acids in the system. When someone has a gallbladder attack/stone/infection etc, they are advised to cut down on fatty foods. And IF you ever have a problem with your gallbladder you will soon find out the hard way that eating fatty foods will make you VERY ill! It is true that there are several types of calcium, I haven't heard of one type of calcium breaking down another! Calcium pills are usually derived from shells, and some people can have reactions to that. Then there is the obvious type of calcium found in Milk products, Spincach, Kale etc.

So like I first stated, if you look into the research about what role diet plays into actually getting stones, the diet factor is one of the lesser theories. It seems to become only prominent when there is ACTUALLY a problem with that certain organ!

If this were 100 years ago, I'd say drink your water as is.

However, nowdays our water is loaded with contaminants like fluoride and chlorine, so it is essential for health to purify before drinking. Reverse osmosis is the best purification method, as it removes more toxins than others.

If you are eating enough fruits/vegetables/whole foods you should be getting enough minerals. If not, look for a natural colloidal mineral supplement.

Calcium needs the help of many, many nutrients in order to be transported and absorbed properly. If you are low in vitamin k, for example, calcium cannot be transported as it should and tends to lodge itself in places where it shouldn't be, such as stones and bone spurs.