Hi! My child’s best friend is lactose intolerant, so when we have her over for a nigh sleep we are very careful not to give her anything that has lactose in, such as milk. I usually buy rice milk and give the girls that to drink before they go to sleep. They like the taste and everyone is happy. Yet, it makes me wonder can rice milk really be nutritient substitute for cow milk, and does it contain all the good stuff that cow milk has. Does anyone know something about it?

Hello! I have a child who is lactose intolerant and I think that it is wonderful that you are so careful when you have your daughter’s friend over, since I have always been afraid to let my child sleep over at a friend’s house in fear that she might eat or drink something that can harm her. I give my child rice milk, soy milk and almond milk. Rice milk tastes good but I read that it doesn’t have as much calcium and vitamin D as cow milk does. Yet, I have found a brand that is fortified with these two nutritients and I think that it is almost equivalent to cow milk, although, of course, two can never be the same.

I think that maybe you should better use soy milk or almond milk when your little guest comes by next time. The reason for that is that rice milk is largely a source of carbohydrates and not proteins, fat and carbs like cow milk. So it's important not to look at it as a nutritional replacement for milk. It is just a useful replacement for milk for taste and cooking purposes, but if you want to get the nutrients of cow's milk be sure you cook a wide variety of other foods. Yet, you shouldn’t worry much about this since your child can have cow milk as well.