Hello, folks. My friend first noticed that he has some problems with his kidneys. After a while, he was diagnosed with kidney stones. After some further testing, he was also diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. I would like to know how these two entities are related one to another. Thanks in advance. Bye!

Hello. Parathyroid glands are four little glands settled behind 4 poles of thyroid gland. They produce parathyroid hormone (PTH). PTH is very important in calcium and phosphate metabolism. Hyperparathyroidism is characterized with excessive PTH production. As a result, there are high levels of calcium in blood (hypercalcemia) and low levels of phosphates (hypophosphatemia). Hypercalcemia can affect several organs. One of them is kidney and this manifests as kidney stones. Calcium is one of the minerals that are very important for calculi forming. I hope this helps. Bye!