Hello, I am 36 years old. I had kidney stone twice so far and the last one was 2 months ago. I was thinking to try with some natural approach as a prevention of building another stone again. Are there any herbs for kidney stones? Thanks

Some herbs that act as diurectics increse urine volume which helps prevent kidney stones, like asparagus root, birch leaf, couch grass, goldenrod, horsetail, lovage, parsley, and stinging nettle. Kidney stones are hard masses that can grow from crystals forming within the kidneys and most stones are made of calcium oxalate. People are greatest risks for stone formation are those with overactive paraythyroid glands or chronic kidney infections and also Vegetarians have a decreased risk of developing stones. Eating salt, sugar, and animal protein and oxalate rich foods such as spinach, chocolate and nuts is linked to kidney stone formation.

My husband has had several bouts with kidney stones. We have tried the suggested diets, low calcium intake, etc from the docs but nothing really seemed to give him relief.

The most recent attack was during a time of extended high stress and as I thought about it, each attack was during a very stressful time. I googled "stress kidney stones" and got an amazing amount of information.

There were several sites that suggested that during high levels of stress one of the first minerals in your body that is depleted is magnesium. Magnesium and Calcium work synergistically to keep each other regulated. If your magnesium is low your calcium will go up. the magnesium helps make your calcium absorbable. Extra calcium in your blood with no magnesium means your bones are not absorbing and your kidneys end up cleaning the calcium out of the blood. Lots of calcium builds up in your kidneys, it crystalizes, it moves, you cry from the pain. It made sense to me.

I went to the health food store and bought magnesium powder. He took one dose and 3 hours later he urinated without pain for the first time in a month. He stayed on the powder for a couple of weeks and no longer had pain in his back or during urination. We switched to tablets now with a little smaller dosage and he has been pain free for about a month now. It was a $7.00 fix rather than emergency room for pain management and prescriptions and doc visits, etc. We've been that route before, it wasn't cheap!

I would urge anyone to try it that has been suffering with this condition especially if you have high stress and the diet thing has not solved the problem. It worked for him.