I've always been a decent runner, Have no problems running long distances, and am pretty quick short distance.
I took a break from from running for about a year, but then decided to hit it hard again last week.
I started out with a 3 mile run around the neighborhood, felt good. So I did it again the next few nights, then on the 4th night, my right knee started hurting really bad on the last of the run. It has felt like that for the last 4 days now, It started feeling better this morning so I went for a run, but it started hurting not even .1 miles later. So I had to turn around?
Is this common?
It's really killing me to not be able to go out and run, I bought new shoes thinking that may have been the source of the problem since the shoes I was using were quite older.
Anybody shed some light on this situation??
Thanks!

Knee pain?

I think that is unusual. You should consult a doctor. For the safety of yourself so that you can To run again.

I had the same problem after I took an eight month break from running to go travelling. Over the eight months I lost about half a stone of muscle from my legs due to all the backpacking and as a result, this put loads of extra strain on my knees and hips when I started running again.

I went to a physio and they recommended Squats, Lunges and one legged lunges to build up my legs again as well as making my buy ankle weights with which to perform some more specific tendon strengthening exercises.

In short...see a physio!

Hope that helps.

I had similar pain a few months ago. It was when I was pushing myself too hard. I was going long distance, trail runs, and hills day after day without breaks. My knee was hurting so bad, I iced it and wore a brace for a few days. The pain went away, and now I wear braces when I run and I make sure to train correctly. I run every other day now, and CT in between.