I was never a runner, but I always wanted to be one. I planned and appied for NYC marathon. I could not make it since while I started training, my legs hurt. It hurt more and more. I guess I did not have any trainer nor I knew about this wonderful Forum. So I may not be following any right method.

Anyways, what is gone is gone. I would really like to be a runner. Not absolutely sure yet if I want to be a fast runner or a long distance. The question right now is how do I get started? What is too fast and what is too slow? I want to progress as fast as possible in the length and speed.

In the past when I tried to start running, my knee would hurt and my ankle would hurt. It would hurt so bad that I would lose all interest in running and finally give up. Later I would just realize that I gave up too soon. I am really not sure how to handle pain and how to keep moving forward with the pain.

I am also getting scared that there maybe somethingf wrong with my legs, I mean some trouble in my knee or ankel. I don't know.

Please help me, how to get started again?

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I'll do when I end up start from ground zero, which in 25-yrs of this running pursuit has happened more times than I want to admit. First, I get myself use to being out and about. Get yourself in the habit of walking a couple miles everyday at the same time. Whether it's morning, noon or evening, you need to establish a routine that you can stick with. Bump up the workout to three and four miles at a time. Put in a five mile walk on a weekend. After a couple weeks of that and you feel the strength coming back to your legs and you can do the walking pain-free, then continue with the walk and begin running the end portion of your walk. So let's say you're walking 3 miles everyday and a 5 miler on the weekend, start out by running the last half-mile of your daily walks. Do that for a week. Then when it feels good, maybe it'll take two weeks or more, start running the last mile each day. Then after another week, bump it to a mile and a half, then to two, then run the whole three miles. Maybe it'll be a couple months until you're fully running all your miles, but try to get out there everyday and start with walking, then add the running. Reel yourself in if the aches begin. Be sure to stick to as soft of surfaces as you can. Cement is the devil's creation, so stay off sidewalks. Asphalt is almost as bad. If you can, get on the graveled shoulders of roads, or better yet, find trails of grass or dirt. I've yet to visit a city without green space you can zip to and cruise the parkways, river fronts, shoreline or what have you, keep those tender knees and ankles from as much unwanted shock as you can. Be sure you've got quality running shoes, department store wanna-be trainers just won't cut it. And the last piece of advice I'll give ya is to make a commitment. Stick to the daily walk/run with the only exception to doing it that you're flat on your back with the flu or something worse. Make it a priority each and every day to make the time for running. It's a slippery slope to make excuses such as being tired or stressed or overbooked or having a cold or the list goes on and on. One thing I tell myself, even after all these years, is to never judge a run by the first mile. The load of having a job, parenting, other commitments, makes it mentally tough to get hyped for every run, but I know if I simply lace-em-up and git out there, that first mile is going to peel away so much of it all and the run is going to turn into something that'll carry my mind and body for hours and hours. I know the Nike slogan of 'just do it' is overcooked, but that's the reality, you just gotta DO IT!!
G'luck and keep posting! :wiggle: