I am a more than novice runner. I'm in the military, so I have been running at least 10 miles per week for 11 years now. I recently became more serious and have decided to increase my distance. I ran a marathon 10 years ago, but in just getting back into, I'm running in a half marathon in 4 days. I started off training by running 5 miles and increased over a few months to 10 miles.

About 3 months ago, before I started training, I started having shin pain. I'm not sure if it is classified as Shin Splints though. The pain seems to be a muscle. It runs along the outside of my shins the length of the shins. It feels like that particular muscle goes into muscle failure. It isn't consisant either.

I thought it was shoes orginally. I bought 5 pairs of shoes in two months and finally found what I thought was the perfect shoes in the Asics Kayano X's. I had no pain for two months and it started again (this was during my training period. Didn't have pain in 8 and 10 mile runs.) When the pain started coming back, I bought another pair of the same shoes. I also slowed down on my running distance and frequency. It seemed to help some. I went for a 9 mile run the other day and around mile 5 the pain came back. I took four days off and tried a 4 mile run. After one mile I was literally on my knees in pain. The pain goes away after walking for a while.

I'm not sure if it is the shoes, my form or if I am just not taking enough time off to heal properly. Any ideas?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that after having horrible pain at the one mile point...I took a week off and ran 3 miles with only mild pain. I walked up the only significant hill that was on the course. I need advice from people that have had the same type of pain. Thanks!

If anyone has had pain like this please share it with me and what you do/did to control the pain...

Is it my form? Is it shoes? Is it that I'm injuried?

Hi jacobs,
When I was a serious weightlifter, sometimes I would get really overtrained, I found that the most I'd have to take off was about 2 weeks. After that, my body (and motivation) grew sound again. After reading your post(s), it seems if you were overtraining, taking time off would rectify that. I think possibly you have some type of injury or tear. Maybe it's time to, (now brace yourself), go to a DR (I knew that was going hurt..lol). Seriously, Maybe it'd be good idea. I know this is not very instructional, but I hope it helps.
kell

Speaking of lifting, I do that too. I *did* lift with legs for the first time in a long time the day before not being able to continue after one mile. That very well could be it. TOday I was marching (yes, marching, I'm a Drill Sergeant and march troops) up a hill and had very mild discomfort in my shins. However, during the half I didn't feel pain on the uphills. I'm wondering if it isn't overtraining/use myself. As for injury...I sorta doubt it. I only get pain when I stress them, not all the time. To let them rest, I did 30 minutes on the Elyptical today. Doing a short run tomorrow, hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the advice.
Jake