Howdy folks, first poster here. I've just recently begun running over the past 3 weeks and I now have a pain in my left knee.
I guess a little background would help, I started out running a 2 mile round trip in about 22-23 minutes. Begining this week, I'm running that in about 17-18 minutes. So I'm enjoying the increased pace and all, but I now have a pain in behind my left kneecap.

I can best describe it as a dull pain that I feel much more if I walk or bound down a flight of stairs.

I began my run this evening and felt it right away. I nearly turned back except that about 1/4 mile into my run it loosened up and was fine for the entire run.

So my question is as a new runner, should I be concerned? Is this just normal strain associated with beginning any new sport? As in am I breaking in so to speak, my knees? Or is this a symptom of something else that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

What type of shoes are you running in?

Ecco RXP 3040

Have you ever run before this? If I have a long break without running, sometimes my knees/ankles/other joints will be a little sore for a little while. It's usually nothing I feel during my runs and certainly nothing that makes me want to stop my run. I'd give it a couple more weeks and if it's still hurting, go see an orthopedist. You may have some damage in there from a previous injury (that you may or may not remember occurring).

that was my first thought.
whenever my knees start to hurt, I know it's time for new shoes.
:twocents:
Aches and pains are part of a runner's life, but to have it specific...like behind the knee...that sounds like sumpin is wrong.

Well, it's been a few weeks, and I've learned a whole bunch of stuff.

First, after a video gait analysis, I have found that I'm an under-pronator, or supinator. My shoes were for neutral to over pronators. So the stiff foam on the inside of the shoe was pushing my knee out (to compensate for over pronators), except my knees already were going out, so now it was too far out.

Switched to a pair of Brooks Glycerin 4 and have finally worked out the running and my knees feel great.