Some info about me: I just turned 34 in, very good shape (swim and p.t. 5 days/week and run at least 3 days/week) and started running approx. 4 mos. ago. Until then I hadn't run since I was 15. Got splints bad enough to where I had to stop running. Took time off and then they'd return. Got motion control shoes and orthotics (flat footed). Run on a track mostly. Got legs checked out by a sports medicine doc and he said they were fine. After doing all the research, following all suggetions(exercises, etc.) the one thing that has helped me by far is ibuprofen. It is THE thing that has enabled me to continue to run and improve. My question is-is this hurting me in the long run? As in not letting my legs adapt to running on their own? BTW, I'm running again to pass a military physical screening test and time is of the essence. Thanks for any info. -JC

I don't think you're somehow "cheating" your legs by taking NSAIDS. You're just using them to help with the soreness and mild swelling associated with shin splints.

Best of luck on your physical screening. :wavey:

If I understand right, you're running with shin splints going on four months now? You might want to get a xray and bone scan done to check for stress fractures and the like. If you pursued all the remedies and exercises as you mention, you shouldn't still be ailing. :twocents:

Thanks for the info. I had an x-ray very recently and was cleared by my doc. The pain is very slight and is gone by the next time I run as long as I take a day off between run days. Then it comes back and disappears again.

Are the shoes old, if they are they may be the culprit.

What is the distance requirement for your military physical, (and what branch)

I found ice, stretching and time took care of the problem that the NSAIDS to help.

time is the best thing for shin splints.

My shoes are pretty new. I agree, ice has helped tremendously as well. The distance I need to run is for the Navy and it's only 1.5 miles in combat boots and pants. The minimum time to run it is 12.5 minutes after swimming,pushups,situps, and pullups. I need to run it quicker by 2-3 minutes, however. If I get accepted into this program the guys are running constantly along with weekly timed 4 mile beach runs so what I am doing is trying to get a running foundation established.

Do the achilles, soleus and iliotibal stretches, thrice a day and also try strengethening your ankle/shins by writing alphabets/numbers. Hip flexor and groin strecthes surprisingly help prevent excess pronation... I would suggest adding them to your routine. Writing alpahbets sounds silly but its damn effective esply on shin splints related pain.

I am on the understanding that a stress fracture will not always show up on a x-ray and a bone scan would be prescribed???
I am currently suffering from splints, recently I thought I had s.f. but actually the last few days I have been feeling better.
Also if I have a continous pain I wont take meds and then run, only time I take meds is for sore muscles.

That's correct.
Where's are resident 'xpert in a bottle?!

Yes, that's correct. I had three, as you recall, two years ago, and my sports doc told me that the only proper way to diagnose an SF is by bone scan--the x ray will not show them.

This is great advice, especiall the aphabet part.