In my quest to return to a semi-rigorous running routine, I am going back to the log book. What is important to log? I use most of the presets on the running log here: distance, run time, type of run, temperature, surface, shoes. I also include the time of day that I run. I don't normally put "feeling" unless I felt very terrible or I was truly in the zone. I have trouble describing the minute differences in feeling. Is there something more quantitative that I can use? Should I be logging anything else?

And no, heart rate is not someplace I want to go. Particularly because it doesn't necessarily correspond with feeling, and I am more of a feeling runner than an analytical one.

I just do time, n distance these days. I used to do shoe miles though. I'll prolly start doing that when my mint shoes come this week. :|

There's no field for flavor, you know.

There's no field for blue floral either! :hysteria: :fubby:

I am terrible at putting in comments, but I often wish I would be more descriptive when I go back and compare my runs. For me Heart Rate is great because it does tend to correlate with how my runs feel. I usually do most of the other fields and always the shoe tracker.

weight is helpful too

I think it varies for every person on what they want and need. I have tried the online logs both here and over there and I ended up using excel to create one that has everything I need and none of what I don't need. As you experiment you will figure out what you like.

My log is just time of run, miles ran, total time, (It calculate the pace) my pre and post run weight, the weather and a mileage tracker for my shoes. I have a comment column but that is mostly for my splits.

If you're a numbers guy like me, have the following categories:
    Total time Total distance Total aerobic time Total interval/hill time
Pace and distance is all and good, but what you really want to watch is how much low and high intensity work you're doing and whether or not it's balanced properly. This is especially important when your workout frequency is at least once a day. And don't even think about tri training without considering this!

Since I use Cool Running for my log, I track:
distance
time (if I bothered to wear a watch)
pace (calculated off of time and distance if I know both)
shoes to know shoe mileage.

And that's about it.

I also track my resting heart rate as measured that morning - that's a good indicator of when I need a break and you can easily see the impact it has on your runs.

I'm also trying to drop a few so I track weight and Body Fat % so I can see how much better everything goes with each 5 lb. that I drop. It's very motivating to see the BF% go down even if the weight stays the same so that I know I am headed the right directiion.

I'm usually very descriptive in my comments area, I put things like splits, surges that i did, who I ran with and how they did. All kinds of things like that.

I also log any assorted parts that are especially sore - this has been helpful to prevent injury and/or to see injury coming.

I used to log miles, time, weight, surface and shoe.

These days I'm lucky if I actually log the miles, and I don't bother with time at all. This takes the stress out of something that is supposed to be destressing me. I know once I leave this area I will get more into my running again.

I log:
Time
Distance
Shoes
Average heart rate
Recovery heart rate
Calories (via HRM) The data is there, so I log it

I might enter into my comments section type of workout, the person I ran with (if that applies), where I ran, any aches or pains that occurred. More often then not, out of laziness, I enter nothing in the comments section.

I use a spreadsheet I developed. I log date, miles, cumulative miles, splits (if necessary), type of run, pace, heart rate (if monitored), and I have a spot for comments. I only record weather if I feel it is a factor. I have calculation showing average miles this week, last two weeks, last month, last 3 months, 6 months, and year, so I can tell at a glance how I'm doing.

I am painfully analytical and I do not like feeling unless I am exceptionally ticked or happy. That's why I used to use heart monitors.